120 film with 220 insert?

orly_andico

<p>I made a mistake when I got my M645 from KEH, I ordered one with a 220 insert thinking "220 film lets me get more shots off a single roll!"</p>

<p>Turns out 220 film is almost impossible to purchase now except via mail-order.</p>

<p>I'm not in the US so purchasing a 120 insert will take a long time to reach me.</p>

<p>Some (other) Mamiya documentation on the net states that you can use 120 film in a 220 insert "in an emergency." But the M645-1000S manual states that using 120 film in a 220 insert may damage the shutter! (presumably if the backing paper catches on the shutter)</p>

<p>So... is it safe (or safe-ish..) to use 120 film in a 220 insert? I would like to scratch my MF itch forthwith and waiting weeks for a 120 insert isn't fun!</p>

<p>Orlando,</p>

<p>I think you should resist the urge to scratch! Whatever about the risk of damaging the shutter, you wouldn't get the sharpest results because the film will be pushed slightly too far forwards. And you don't want your first MF roll to come out a disappointment, do you? Wait for a proper 120 insert. In the meantime, you can "dry shoot" with your M645, and become thoroughly familiar with operating it.</p>