CV 21mm f/4 screw vs bayonet mount

david carver

<p>I want to buy a Voigtlander 21mm f/4 lens for my M6. It is my understanding that the 2 versions are indentical optically. Is that correct? The screw mount with the adaptor is less money that the newer version. Will I be missing anything getting the screw version? <br>

Also, in the future I may want to buy a digital M camera. Will the screw mount with the adaptor work as well as the dedicated bayonet version.<br>

Thanks in advance for your help.</p>

<p>When I was looking, they appeared to have the same optics, though the build quality of the M ones might be better.<br>

I went with an LTM version since it came with a VF, while the M does not. I find the optics to be very good on my unit, with film, and the M8 and RD1. The included VF is useful on the RD1 with a 15mm lens if you happen to get one later on.<br>

I got mine at Photo Village who had good stock a few months back of the LTM/VF 21 combo.</p>

<p>When I go here: http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf/id/pa_asan6m4e2e.html and click back and forth between the 21mm/F4.0 Color Skopar and the 21mm/F4.0 Color Skopar Pancake II, I see two very different designs. Furthermore, specs for these lenses indicate that the "regular" 21mm Skopar is available in screw mount, while the "Pancake" version is available in bayonet. Just calling it as I see it on this website. </p>

<p>ps...I see by a pop-up ad that there is a screw mount version of the pancake version. So...is this the plot thickening, or are there simply two optical variations of this lens - with the "normal" one available in screw mount only, and the "pancake" version available in both mounts? </p>

<p>Not that I swear by everything he says, but Ken Rockwell is warning against using non-Leica lenses -- and the CV 21 f/4 specifically -- on the Leica M9. There are some color fringing problems that the M9 can't correct unless you use Leica's own coded lenses. If you're sticking with film it's problably not a big deal.</p>

<p>I can not but agree with Steve's remark. I do black and white mostly. I looked for a wide angle to complement my Summicron 35 type I Wetzlar of which I love the rendering. After some research and advice from the forum I bought the VC 21/4.0 LTM and I am extremely happy with the way it renders. Below an example of my first test rol with the 21</p><div>00V7gd-195477584.jpg.bb96a030acf0f94a99353167211f4475.jpg</div>

<p>Actually, the M mount one may have "better" build quality. Voigtlander makes their lens barrels out of either aluminum or brass. The brass lenses are sure heavier, but as far as durability goes it's up in the air. I will say, the aluminum lenses are anodized and even if nicked, remain black. The brass lenses will lose paint with wear and tear.</p>

<p>If the M mount lens has a brass barrel, it's probably more expensive for sure, and may indeed be a bit more durable over the extreme long haul.</p>