Apple vs. Adobe (sort of)...

<p>While i guess im not even 100% sure i need it with my recent acquisition of CS4 Suite...<br>

At least as an organization and storage system....Lightroom would seem to be my 1st choice....<br>

But i always get such great info here so....</p>

<p>Is there anything that Apple's Aperture <em>can</em> do that Lightroom <em>can't</em> ...?</p>

<p>Im also starting to shoot in RAW, so i do need it for that.....</p>

<p>Thanks all!</p>

<p>Best thing you can do is download the trial version of each program and see for yourself. I believe that there is a (very) general consensus that Aperture has better organization tools and Lightroom better processing tools. Personally, I couldn't stand the different "modes" in Lightroom (and when I tried Lightroom it didn't support dual screens which it does now I believe). I like Aperture. If you aren't sure you need a photo database tool, you could just start with iPhoto (free) and see what you like and don't like.</p>

<p>I am an old Macmujihadi from way back (1984, as a matter of fact), but I'd stay away from iPhoto. It's another of those programs that want to take over everything for you. It's an invasive software weed and will grow all over your files, squeeking "use me, use me".</p>

<p>My recommendation is to just use the tools in CS4. Bridge will do well enough if you organize your images into appropriately labeled folder/subdirectories. With Photoshop, you don't need the much more primitive tools in either Aperture or Lightroom. The real functions of both of these programs is image <em>management</em> , and the other tools are just built in to keep you from having to switch to PS for minor things.</p>

<p>When you find you have so many files that can't find them anymore in Bridge, then, and only then, consider which of the two management apps you want to use.</p>

<p>Aperture is more integrated with the rest of the Apple consumer and pro apps, it presents a broader scope of capabilities if you are also using Final Cut, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, together with it. On the downside, Aperture supports a good deal fewer raw formats than Adobe does. </p>

<p>Lightroom is a little lighter weight in that sense and more single purpose. It is designed primarily to manage your photographic needs and to interact well with Photoshop. I prefer Lightroom for this reason, and also because of its raw support breadth. (I also personally prefer its UI design, but that's neither here nor there.)</p>

<p>I use both, actually. I use Lightroom for my photography, and I use Aperture's book making capability. There are a couple of features in each that I wish the other had. </p>