Nikon D300S vs D90

jgredline

<p>Hi folks. I have a D700 that I love, but for two reasons The weight / size and I also love the crop bodies for my long lens stuff. So I decided to add a D300s or a D90. What will decide it for me is noise control.</p>

<p>From you folks have seen, which controls noise better? That is what it will come down to for me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thanks javier</p>

<p>I have never tested the D90, but I have tested the D300, D300s and D5000, where the D5000 uses exactly the same sensor as the D90. I don't think there is any significant high ISO capability difference among those DSLRs.</p>

<p>Do you need AF for your long lenses? If so, the D300S' AF is pretty much identical to that on the D700, and that makes the decision easy. Moreover, the D300, D300S and D700 all share the same MB-D10 grip.</p>

<p>I've used both. D300s appears better. I'm sure this is a question for the pixel peepers.<br>

Also, don't forget that the controls on the D90 are quite a bit different than the D300s compared to the D700, so there will always be some reorientation. After using the superior interface of the D700/D300s, you'll be annoyed with the D90.</p>

<p>If you like the weight, size and features of a D700 and are looking for the closest equivalent in a crop sensor, the D300/D300S is what you want. If you want something less expensive and lighter with most of the features and the same image quality as the D300, that's the D90. The D5000 fits that description as well but you'll probably find it too small and too limited in its features, and it isn't all that mush cheaper than a D90. As Shun said, all of those cameras have the same sensor and the processing is similar so you won't see a noticeable difference in noise.</p>

<p>In sensor testing the D90 does a bit better than the D300 (the D90 being newer) and the D5000 is in between. The D300S is the newest and I haven't seen quantitative testing but I'd have to assume it edges the D90. But the differences aren't very large, and the form factor and feature differences are surely more significant.</p>

<p>i think any difference in IQ between the D90 and D300s would be very marginal. the difference in form factor and control layout, relative to the D700, is substantial. if you value interoperablility between the two cameras you use, there's compelling reason to opt for D300s over the D90.</p>

<p>Here are some weight numbers (including battery) from dpreview.<br>

D90 - 703g<br>

D200 - 920g<br>

D300 - 938g<br>

D700 - 1074g<br>

D3 - 1300g</p>

<p>I have a D3 but for travel and hiking I used to use a D200 and D70 as backup. About 6 months ago I thought about a D300 but got the D90 instead. The 200g difference is definitely noticeable. I'm totally happy and I have no problem going between the controls of all of those cameras.<br>

If you need faster AF then buy the D300 but otherwise I think you'd be happy with the D90.</p>

<p>It is a bit too late for you, but E-Photo is selling the D300S for $1569. I was just in their store today (Virginia). Also, Popular Photogarphy tested the D300S and found that its tested noise level was substantially higher than either the D300 or D90. At 3200 noise was barely acceptable, whereas with the D300 and D90 at ISO 6400 produced acceptable noise levels. Now it is possible that Pop had a bad sample, and/or that a firmware upgrade with bring the D300S noise levels in line with the D300 or D90. At any rate I opted for a used D300 over the D300S because low noise at 6400 is of prime importance to me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Popular Photogarphy tested the D300S and found that its tested noise level was substantially higher than either the D300 or D90.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>John, I would just ignore that result. I have a D300 and a D300S on my desk at the moment. I have been testing their high ISO performance in the last few days, shooting both RAW and JPEG. There isn't a whole lot of differnece between the D300 and D300S at ISO 1600, 3200, and Hi 1 (6400).</p>