An old friend is gone

golden

<p>The oldest continuous running restaurant in our county, opend for business in 1943, my parents bought in in 1975 running it for nearly 30 years, lots of memories here, thanksgiving dinner served for the family and friends every year, christmas dinners, kids birthday parties, both my boys and my sisters boys first birthdays were celebrated here many years ago. my dad passed away several years ago and my mother continued to run it up till around 2004, she then finally sold it and retired, she stayed for a while helping the new owner get up and running, it was a great place, it was many of the local kids first job, washing dishes, bussing tables and just whatever my dad could find them to do. Well this past saturday night someone decided to set fire to it, there is no doubt it was arson, i live up the hill behind the building and i could see the smoke, I ran down the road and just couldnt believe what i was seeing. my mother showed up a bit later and cried, so many good memories, she said "feels like an old friend has died"</p><div>00V5VR-193923584.jpg.d56c70b09b08f965595e7c7fbd4e03ef.jpg</div>

<p>I just feel bad for my mother, her and my dad put there heart and soul into the business then after my dad passed, like i said she ran it for a few more years then sold it, she said it wasnt the same without my dad being there. i know she thought about him evertime she passed by the restaurant, perhaps this is closure for her. </p>

<p>That's too bad John. No one likes to see their memories torn down or burned. The first house I lived in overlooking the harbor burned down. Lame. I remember my Dad driving me by every couple months to have a look. It was the first house he owned. <br>

Up in the White Mountains there used to be a really nice log visitor center at one of the beautiful bristlecone pine forests. SOme nut was pissed at the government for some reason and burned it down last year. For Peet's sake, I could have told him everyone is pissed at the government most of the time; right before burying him alive... At least they caught the nut. And I hope they fry the goofball that torched your memories. </p>

<p>The sheriffs dept. called in the State Buerau of Investigation, I saw them down there sunday looking over everything. Its pretty obvious that when they are called in to a fire scene that the fire was intentional. I saw one of the agents pick up a camping lantern that was between the boat and the building and smell of it, he set it aside and told the other agent something then started doing other things, i watched them for a few more minutes then they loaded up the lantern and a couple of other things and left. </p>

<p>John,<br>

I understand that kind of loss well. My father's last restaurant suffered a similar fate in early 1965 - it was near a railroad crossing and some tramps camping there set fire to the building next door and it spread to the restaurant. I have a few shots taken of it (not by me). The entire roof was burned off it and it was pretty well destroyed. It was an awe-inspiring sight to my 4-year-old eyes when I walked in and saw no roof. Sad, too. I loved that place. Our whole family went every Sunday, to clean up and eat lunch there, like a family outing. I still have all the leftover memorabilia (business records, photos, even the insurance claim). My dad ended up working for a couple of classy joints before he retired, but he was happier running his own business.</p>

<p>A life time of realized dreams up in smoke. So sad. We live in a country of blithering morons with little else to do than take away from others what they cannot have. </p>

<p> Your pictures had to be hard to take, but you put true emotion into very well-taken photos. I hope there is a rebuild, and new dreams are pursued there. </p>