Nikon Sponsors Predator Derby

There's certainly a Nikon ad on the site. Whether they are specifically sponsoring this detestable event isn't clear, but the ad column is headed "Event Sponsors". Of course I could put a Nikon ad on my website and write "Sponsor" above it, but I can assure you that Nikon don't sponsor my website.

<p>

See <a href="http://www.sfwidaho.org/SFW/Idaho_Predator_Derby.html">http://www.sfwidaho.org/SFW/Idaho_Predator_Derby.html</a>

<p>

BTW the Nikon link doesn't actually go anywhere! If they are sponsoring the event, Nikon isn't going to be too happy about that.

<p>As I was sitting out in my boat early this morning shooting ducks, I just remembered that I have a Nikon Monarch 3x9 scope on my deer/elk rifle. They also make rangefinders and binocculars and market those through sporting channels. There are several other divisions of Nikon, including microscopes for example. So, it's possible Nikon sporting optics division would advertise at something like a "coyote derby." It would be an appropriate venue for those products. FWIW, last year I was watching a bass fishing "pro tour" and noticed banners for Canon at the judging area. Not sure why someone would be "shocked" to learn that there are different cultures than there own out there.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

Yes it does - to me. Detestable is my personal view of it.

"Sport" hunting where you kill as much as you can just for the fun of it is morally repugnant to me. It's not hunting for food, it's killing for fun.

It's a "wonderful" "sporting" day. You get two points for killing a coyote, but if you're lucky enough to kill a wolf, you get 3 points.

If Nikon is sponsoring it, all I can say is that I'm glad I'm a Canon user.

<p>I agree with Bob that it is detestable. I don't hunt myself, but I am OK with hunting as long as the meat is used for food and the hunted are not endangered. But this is entirely different! This is killing predators (the lack of them is why we now have hunters working to control deer population because we don't have natural balance of predators and prey) purely for sport. That is not a sport and is disgusting (how much sport is it to aim a gun at an animal and shoot). Humans have screwed up the world enough with eliminating predators, introducing species where they shouldn't be, etc. Why support this? They don't know what the repercussions of their actions will be to the balance of nature. This is horrible just like Sarah Palin supporting aerial wolf hunting.<br>

I don't know if they are actually sponsoring it or not, but it appears that way. Whether Nikon has products that would be used in this or not, they should take a stand and not put their name on it because of the above reasons. I shoot Canon and have always since I was a teenager. I would be just as disgusted even if Canon sponsored it. I think Nikon makes some wonderful products as does Canon and most of the major makers so this is not me being biased against Nikon. </p>

<p> </p>