Turn off VR when using a tripod and exposures longer than about a second - initial data

tom_mann1

<p>Tom, I bought my D700 from B&H and, as mentioned, went for the kit deal to save $200 over the "sold separately" price. Thus, having not researched the lens' rep for variation, relied on "them." Caveat Emptor and all that. Don't get me wrong, my lens would be just fine for uncropped 4x5 snap shots, but that's not what I bought it for.</p>

<p>I'll be trading in in person at B&H and will go over the replacement very carefully.</p>

<p>Hi Tom,<br>

I thought the mirror slap could interfere with the VR activity at the start of the exposure (especially as it is said to work in an open-loop manner). Some vibration could find its way to the VR accelerometer in the lens despite the camera being mounted on the tripod.<br>

If this problem is related to drift, it is likely to cause less problems with faster shutter speeds.</p>

<p>Shun said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>While I don't have the 24-120mm VR lens, intentionally or unintentionally, I have used the 200-400mm/f4 AF-S VR on a tripod with VR on, and I have never had such serious problems.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I thot on the super teles, there is also a tripod mode for VR, which I do not think it exists on the shorter VR lenses.</p>

<p>Furthermore, I believe that I have asked Nikon USA before about leaving VR=OFF on certain lenses and it is pretty clear that this is the officially published list:<br>

http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7676</p>

<p>Also, someone mentioned that the exposure on the long teles probably did not go to 10secs as far as wildlife photography is concerned and so, it is a scenario that is not tested on the long teles as far as we know. Someone can offer to test that out.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>When first getting the lens 3 years ago, I experienced the problem accidentally leaving on the vr while on tripod. Apparently the Nikon engineers had a reason when they said turn it off. Not being an engineer, just a humble photographer, I listened. Took it on faith from the Nikon deity. I'm not worthy. When will the Nikon gods produce an updated 17-35??? What do I have to do, make a burnt sacrifice. Hmm, perhaps a Canon toasted by a 30 year old vivitar 285. </p>

<p>The gods are afraid of the global economy and they are retracting their product line.</p>

<p>I, for one, would like to see a FF sensor consumer level DSLR that's the size of the current D5000 or D3000. That will shut the mouths of the Leica cult forever. I believe a D5000 and a Nikkor 35mm/1.8G AF-S can easily fit into the pocket of a coat without any issue.</p>

<p>I was just over at Costco a few hours ago and got around to handle the D5000 and I marveled at the weight and the tininess of that body. It's lighter and smaller than the Leica M8 and it has the same sensor as the D300. If there's a D5000 with a FF sensor, I would buy one in a heart-beat ... after burning my sacrifices, of course. :)</p>