Minolta's best manual camera with mirror lock-up?

<p>I do have a new X370s (my walk around camera). I am now hunting and finding good prime lenses.<br>

I am now looking for Minolta's latest and best manual camera with mirror lock-up. I do not know to well the history of Minolta's manual cameras.<br>

Of course I realize I may have to buy two, one for back-up. As used is a hit and miss quality endeaver.<br>

Kenny</p>

<p>I have to agree with david. The srt-101 was my first "real" camera, and I must have shot at least 200 rolls of all kinds of film through it between 1969 (when I got it for Christmas) and 1972 when it was stolen. At that time I was in the USAF as a photographer. I replaced it with another 101, but this time with a black body (very sexy) . I used that one on an almost daily basis for official work, and all around photo. Finally in 1984 the black beauty died after being dropped down a flight of stairs by a friend. Thankfully though, the Rokkor 55mm 1.4 lens survived. I still have a 102 that was given to me by a customer at my one hour lab, and I still use it regularly. Barring a tumble down concrete stairs, the old srts are great cameras, and their lenses are remarkable. </p>

<p>I'm pretty sure that only the SRT 101 and 102 had mirror lock-up. I have the 101,102 201,202, XE5, XE7 and XD and those two (the 101 and 102, there were a few versions of the 101 so make sure you look for the lock-up lever) are the only ones with the lock-up. Too bad really as the XE series are wonderful cameras.</p>

<p>You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a good Minolta SLR. XD series is arguably the last good Minolta camera. But if you are careful you will find many good condition samples to choose from between the SRT, XE and XD series.</p>

<p>Your question was about mirror lock-up. The best Minolta manual focus film SLR with that feature was the XK/XK Motor. These are large, heavy, expensive and not easy to find in good working order. Apart from the XK I would rate the SRT 102 as the best one with mirror lock-up. The SRT 102 was also sold in other markets under the SRT 303 and SRT Super names. Late models of the SRT 101 were sold without mirror lock-up. The first f/1.4 standard lens in the MC series was the 58/1.4. Later f/1.4 standard lenses were 50mm models. I don't remember ever seeing a 55/1.4 Rokkor. There was a 55/1.7 MC and an earlier 55/1.8 Auto Rokkor. <br>

I would not say that the XD series cameras were the last good Minoltas. The X-700 of 1981 used a cloth horizontal shutter so it had a flash synch speed of only 1/60. In return for this you get a more sensitive meter, interchangeable focusing screens, a brighter viewfinder, TTL flash capability, Program, Aperture Priority and Manual modes (no Shutter Priority), both a winder and a motor, an available data back and a good combination of size and weight. The X-700 was so successful that it remained in production for about 20 years with the last few years of assembly being in China. The X-700 has a capacitor with a limited but long lifespan and its shutter curtains are pulled by cotton threads rather than silk or some other material. The shutter in one of my X-700s seems to have misfired while being used with a flash. The last time I remember having this body serviced was more than 8 years ago and a lot of film has gone through it since then. </p>

<p>Yes and, as far as I know, the only difference in the 101 and 102 is that the 102 had a hot shoe and the 101 did not. I had the 101 until recently and it was a remarkable camera. I just decided I had start get thinning the herd. I was running out of anywhere to stack 'em.</p>

<p>Jeff, thanks for adding the info on the SRT 102 and different labeling. I'd almost forgotten about that. I think there was a couple other labels also wasn't there? Ones sold through department stores like Sears also were different, I think. It's been a while since I've thought about this stuff.</p>

<p>Yea, that's why I said "<em>arguably</em> the last good ...". Some people love the X-700 and rightly so but I really didn't like the camera. I purchased mine when it first became available to North America on the advice of a good buddy who had picked his up in Japan. But after using the XE and XD (The Japanese version of the XD 11 or XD 7, the same except it has better leatherette than the others, no shrinkage) it just didn't thrill me. I put it away and sold it a couple years later. It was my last "New" Minolta.</p>

<p>Now the Rokkor glass, that was/is the stuff of dreams!</p>

<p><em>Always</em> look at a 101/102 for MLU before purchase. The early 101s, up to about 1971 have them (this means all the black shutter speed knob ones, and some of the chrome ones), and the 102 is a tossup, as from my research, it seemed that most had them. If you're looking for the best, the XK is the most versatile, but most were heavily used and aren't what you'd call in the best of shape. Some of the older SR models have MLU, if you're willing to go meterless.</p>

<p>The best Minolta - ever - is freshly CLA Minolta SRT 202 / 303 etc - it has the mirror lock , aperture in viewfinder etc and is built like a brick !<br>

Just make sure that it has a batery adapter and new seals .<br>

Plentiful - and a bargain - just check out a black one - super stylish .<br>

Good luck<br>

dee</p>

<p>I use very much the 102 with a 101 as a backup, I recieved my first 101 from my grandmother in the mid 90s. I very much like the split screen focusing the 102 offers; the hot shoe and aperture view aren't as essential to me, but also nice. Since everyone is also heavily leaning towards those recommendations I must add my recommendation for where to get yours restored.</p>

<p>No doubt you will buy a used 101/102 from somewhere; no reason not to use the auction site. When you do, contact John Titterington about repair, restore, and CLA. If I remember correctly it was $75 for each camera, $70 each when I sent in both mine at the same time. That was a complete restore, and they work great. Check out his auctions and you can see his restored cameras consistently sell for well above the standard used rate; they work just as if they came fresh from the factory.</p>

<p>If I recall correctly, there were six differences I used to know between the SRT101 and 102. I am not sure if this is exhaustive, and I can only remember six at the moment.<br>

1. Split image viewfinder with a microprism collar.<br>

2. Aperture readout in the viewfinder.<br>

3. Multiple exposure capability.<br>

4. X/FP sync switch instead of two terminals (minor to irrelevant).<br>

5. Hot shoe.<br>

6. I think there was one more that I cannot remember.<br>

I also think the very latest models lacked MLU. So make sure you check. I have two copies, both have MLU, but one has extra niceties like a coin slotted battery cover, a box-end slot for film type and a clicking sound when you rewind.<br>

I highly prefer the SRT102 over the 101.</p>