How to Recreate This Lighting

William D. Lester

<p>This photograph of my Grandparents was made during WW1, sometime around 1917. The main lighting is from camera right and seems to be elevated somewhat as indicated by the shadows. The shadows seem strong for daylight but I have no way of knowing what type of lighting was employed but it doesn't seem to fall off much from top to bottom. I would like to recreate this type of photograph and lighting. I have 3 - 500 watt stobes with a variety of beauty dishes, refectors, etc. I am also a rank amateur when it comes to lighting. If I use a 500 watt strobe as a main light, elevated above the taller person's head to get the downward shadow effect, will I not have light fall off on the seated person and even more towards the bottom of the picture? Should I somehow be using 2 main lights at differing heights to try and do this. Suggestions would be much appreciated.</p><div>00V3j1-192733584.JPG.1844ba0535aefee1cc23dcdfd9dfb743.JPG</div>
William D. Lester

<p>" If I use a 500 watt strobe as a main light, elevated above the taller person's head to get the downward shadow effect, will I not have light fall off on the seated person and even more towards the bottom of the picture? Should I somehow be using 2 main lights at differing heights to try and do this. Suggestions would be much appreciated."</p>

<p>Not if your light is far enough away from your subjects. A greater distance from the main light to your subject creates a deeper "depth of exposure". As you move your light farther from the subject you'll need a larger light source to keep the same quality of light and you'll also need more power to achieve the same f-stop.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A lot of studios back in those days were basically green houses with canvas curtains to block unwanted light. I would guess that photo was lighted with the north facing wall and roof. About the only way to get that look today would be by using a large shoot through panel (8x12 feet or so) with 2-3 strobes behind it, and a white canvas backdrop. That is my opinion which is worth every penny you paid for it :)</p>