PRINTS vs DISC

june_daley

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I recently asked friends and customers whether they would prefer prints or disc when having professional photographs taken and every single person replied "both". What would be a suitable way to price this? I am a part time photographer and only offer a disc with a small number of images chosen by the client (usually 6-10 depending how much they pay). Any other photogs here offer images on disc?</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

June</p>

<p>June, how do you present your images to the client, in your studio, their home, e-mail jpegs to them? And do they decide which images they want or do you eliminate and present only your best images of them? I am in California and wondering what the going rate is where you are and what size you print for them?</p>

<p ><em >“I recently asked friends and customers whether they would prefer prints or disc when having professional photographs taken and every single person replied "both". </em></p>

<p ><em > </em></p>

<p ><strong ><em >“What would be a suitable way to price this?”</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Separately. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Assuming the final prints are pro lab quality, then $ per size.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Assuming the file is High res, and with that client can print as many as they like – then this is the high ticket item. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >If the file is low res and for email distribution, for example, then the disc is less expensive. </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ></p>

<p ></p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong ><em >“Any other photogs here offer images on disc?”</em></strong></p>

<p ><strong ><em > </em></strong></p>

<p >Yes. Practically all final product now for me, is disc (commercial work).</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Except for the occasional Portrait Shoot I supply Prints only - I mention that as it appears you are doing Portraits?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Your questions are very general.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p>I started off (in weddings/portraits) offering just a disc. When I was starting out, it was easier not to have to worry about prints. Now, I offer wedding packages including some final prints, with the add-on option of a high-resolution Image Disc. It seems to work well because most of the time folks appreciate the options, and some just stick with the included prints. Most of my clients are more than willing to pay the extra charge for the Disc. For Portraits, I offer small print packages, again with the option to buy Digital Negatives. I structure the Digital Negatives for Portraits as: 4 image, 8 image, 16 image, or full session, priced accordingly. The more images on Disc, the less expensive each image is to purchase, so it's a bit of an incentive. Hope that helps you!</p>

<p>Remember that if you provide files on a disc, you have no control over the printing quality. If someone displays a poorly printed image, their friends will ask "who took that photo?", they will NEVER ask "where was it printed?"<br>

In other words, any negative comments will only reflect the photographer, so be careful...-Aimee</p>