Video Light - what's the best battery or option to have it on constant?

magnus2

<p>I recently bought a lowel id video light (which is great) but the battery time is around 30minutes. IF I work somewhere there is electricity I would prefer to plug it in and not having to worry that the light will run out - or buy a bit bigger battery which lasts an horur or so?</p>

<p>Does anyone have a recommendation ?</p>

<p>You should have no problem finding a battery suitable for 2 hours or more of operation. That would be sufficient for a day's shooting if you turn the light off between clips.</p>

<p>Look through the video chapters at B&H for ideas. There are belt packs for serious (50W or more) power. Anton-Bauer makes the best on-camera batteries. A-B has a two or three Li-Ion batteries which have the best power/weight ratio. Mine will run a 20W light for over three hours, including the camera (50W). Lead-acid batteries are the cheapest for the power, but very heavy. Ni-Cd batteries withstand an heavy current draw (better than Li-Ion) but are subject to "memory" effects. Keep your checkbook warm.</p>

<p>You might also look at one of the LED light panels ($$). The color temperature is approximately daylight, and the power draw is about 25% that of an hot light. Be aware that video lights do not have a lot of output. (Think video = 1/30 sec, f/1.8 at ISO 800 (+18 db).)</p>