Too Late for the 1D Mark II N?

mr._b

<p>I'm an enthusiastic amateur and I am currently shooting a 30D, 17-40mm and 70-200mm F/4. I was browsing ebay last night and found that the Canon EOS 1D Mark II N can occasionally be found for under $1,000. I know this is an old camera but the thought of having a taste of the 1D series is very tempting. All my camera gear is eBay purchases so I am aware of the typical pitfalls.</p>

<p>Am I crazy for considering a camera even older than the one I already have?</p>

<p>IMHO the 1DmkIIn is a great camera; I've been trying to find an clean and affordable one (i.e. under $1500) for some time, but it seems to hold its value well. The 7D is giving it some competition now.</p>

<p>I'd be a bit leery of a real low-price item. The camera is/was a favorite of photojournalists so some/many/most have had hard lives (lots of shutter actuations, bumps, knocks, etc.). If you could find one from a well-heeled amateur who treated it well I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.</p>

<p>The biggest down-side I know of is the older-technology battery.</p>

<p>A lightly-used 1DMkII or MkIIN is a screaming bargain at $1000. They are more reliable than the MkIII, cost 1/5 as much as a MkIV, and will do nearly everything the newer cameras will.</p>

<p>Here are some shots from a world-class surfing competition at Tofino on Vancouver Island captured a few weeks ago with my MkII:<br>

<a href="http://www.brentreid.exposuremanager.com/g/surfing">http://www.brentreid.exposuremanager.com/g/surfing</a></p>

<p>Lenses, especially the top L versions, hold their value well, while perfectly capable camera bodies depreciate quicker than the worst cars made in Detroit or offshore. The 1DMkII may be a 5-year old design, but it can still deliver top quality images. </p>

<p>And, you can use the thousands you save on the body to invest in top quality lenses that will give you brilliant shots for years, then return most of their original cost when you sell them.</p>

<p>Great camera, awesome AF and IQ, may be a great deal (or maybe not...) depending on the true condition. Keep in mind a few things about 1D2n: NiCad batteries ("memory effect", not many shots comparing to 1D3, lousy battery performance in cold weather); UI is "two hand" and the LCD is pretty much an ornament; high ISO not that great; you'll need a FireWire port. Make sure that the camera comes with the charger.</p>

<p>Just 4 years ago I was in Finland photographing wild bears with my new 300D and 75-300mm consumer zoom. Other photographers there had their new 1D MkII cameras. I was green with envy and would have killed to get my hands on one of them at the time. Just 4 years later they are being discarded and considered "past-it" by many photographers. Such a waste.</p>

<p>They are a cracking camera. But, as Geoff Sobering rightly says, the new 7D really does take some beating. With the exception of build quality and the built in grip, the 7D does virtually everything the 1D Mk2 does and so much more, including a far higher resolution, better high ISO performance, HD video, more "reach" from it's 1.6x crop, EF-s lens compatability and the availability of super wide angle lenses. The 1.3x crop of the 1D makes wide angle photography a real pain. Not to mention the excellent 3.0 inch screen of the 7D and the cheap, small and lightweight batteries.</p>

<p>It was, and still is, a great camera... Obviously time has moved forward and newer models have better high ISO, larger LCDs, and various tweaks and additional features, but that doesn't diminish the abilities of the 1D MkIIN - it's a 1-series body with great IQ and will take wonderful images for years to come if treated right.</p>

<p>Now the caveat... if you have no need for the specific benefits of a 1-series body - increased weather proofing, more rugged build, dual card slots, etc - you may well be better off with a brand new, lighter body (7D? Which has 1-series frame rates and buffer) and a warranty to go with it... decisions, decisions...</p>

<p>Any 1 series body is well built and gives good results. Keep in mind the 1D4 is coming out next month so a lot of used 1D3's may start showing up. The 1D3 was a serious upgrade from the 1D2n. Dual Digic 3 processors (vs single Digic 2), self-cleaning sensor system, MUCH improved menu and control functions (no more holding two buttons down to make changes), new SMART battery system (lighter, longer lasting, and more detail of charge capacity), 14 bit processing (vs 12), cleaner images despite more pixel as in the same sensor size (less wasted space between pixels), shutter updated for 300,000 life cycle (vs 200,000), 10mp vs 8mp, 10fps vs 8 fps. </p>

<p>Any 1 series body is well built and gives good results. Keep in mind the 1D4 is coming out next month so a lot of used 1D3's may start showing up. The 1D3 was a serious upgrade from the 1D2n. Dual Digic 3 processors (vs single Digic 2), self-cleaning sensor system, MUCH improved menu and control functions (no more holding two buttons down to make changes), new SMART battery system (lighter, longer lasting, and more detail of charge capacity), 14 bit processing (vs 12), cleaner images despite more pixels in the same sensor size (less wasted space between pixels), shutter updated for 300,000 life cycle (vs 200,000), 10mp vs 8mp, 10fps vs 8 fps. </p>

<p>Mr B,</p>

<p>I think they are a great buy, but think the 1Ds MkII is the best buy out there, the problem with the D models, not the Ds models, is that silly 1.3 crop and the unavailability of wide lenses, if you regularly use your 17-40 under 22mm you will loose that lens range. The batteries are not that bad, heavy yes but cheap copies on ebay work well and you can swap endplates with dead genuine batteries for the best fit.</p>

<p>But if you want to play with world class build and AF then go for it, but try to save a little more to get the 1Ds Mk II instead.</p>

<p>I have bought a few older 1 Series off ebay and have been very happy with them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>silly 1.3 crop and the unavailability of wide lenses</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The target audience of the 1D series doesn't care very much about wide angle lenses - it's an "action shooter's" camera best used with moderate-wide-to-supertele range. If one needs/likes wide angle shooting (wider than 18 mm EFOV with a 14mm lens) then the 1D series is a wrong choice.</p>

<p>Micheal,</p>

<p>Remember the ad for the Nikon D3, the one of the motorcycles at dusk with an ultra wide angle from very low down in the corner, obviously remote controlled, the tag line was something like "Only with a Nikon" that wasn't just the fact that it was dark, it was the ultra wide angle aspect and was a dig at Canon and their "sports" camera not being able to take the shot. There are many many wide and ultrawide applications for sports cameras, you just can't do it with a Canon. Don't get me wrong, I have been a 1D user for years but to have never brought out a wider lens just for that camera was, I think, wrong.<br>

Besides whilst most users have grown into their cameras and now can't remember living without a 1.3 crop, when it first came out it was very much pushed as a positive "tele advantage" steam rollering the fact that half the time your beautiful 400mm f2.8 was simply too long at 520mm.</p>

<p>i made the jump from the 20D to 1D mkii this year and i love it... it is a great camera with exceptional picture quality, autofocus point selection, awesome viewfinder, and fast shooting... when paired with the L glass, the pics are super sharp... now however, i find myself in a similar dilema... looking to possibly sell the mk ii to go full frame with a used 5D? ah decisions, decisions,.... i would recommend it any day of the week though... but be wary, once you go 1D and feel the heft of it, you may never want the feel of the "toy" prosumer models again!</p>

<p>I just got one. I bought it used at adorama. i love it! i prefer using it over my 5d2. right now its my main camera, i only use the 5d2 if i need the extra pixels. im a wide angle kind of guy and the 1.3 crop does not bother me at all. i use it with my 17-40 and 24-70 and 200mm and i like the IQ it gives me.</p>