Small tripod as carry on

paul_wilson2

This may have already been asked but things have changed.

Has anyone had any problems bringing a tripod on as a carry on post

9/11? The tripod in question is a Gitzo 1228 and I'll be flying to

the UK (going to Scotland for landscape photography to keep it

relevent). I know size isn't an issue since I've brought it on

plenty of times before. However, I've only flown with it once since

9/11 and this is the first internationally.

Thanks.

I think the point is that although unlikely, you don't want to stand the chance to lose the tripod along with your checked luggage if you have a choice. For certain types of photography, it is important to have a tripod.

The 1228 is quite small. Several years ago, I have hand carried it in a flight where I didn't have any checked luggage. I think the problem is more like how much carry on you have overall and the airline. US airlines are still more tolerant with carry ons.

By the way, could a tripod be considered as a potential "weapon"? If an airport security feels that way, you may be in trouble.

Of course, while you are in the UK, you can always pick up a Gitzo at a lower price at Robert White. They are in southern England, not close to Scotland though. :-)

Avoid any potential hassel. What is allowed as carry on is largely at the discression of the specific security people. If you get randomly selected for a gate check and they don't allow it as carry on, you won't have any means of re-packing it for check-in and you have the loosing options of missing your flight or checking it bare.

Thanks for the answers. I guess I'll check the tripod and keep the head in my carry on backpack. I might try to approach security before checking in and ask them the question.

I'm actually flying in to London and won't be able to get to Robert White. However, London has Teamwork Photo so I'll be going there before heading north. We'll see if my CFO (wife) lets me buy anything.

I recently flew in and out of Logan (Boston) which, since it was the source of all four 9/11 hijackings, seems to have the tightest security around. I had to open and demonstrate everything in my camera bag. I was glad that I had packed my Bogen tripod and head in my checked luggage, because I have little doubt that they would have forced me to check it regardless.

I'll be flying from Phoenix to Newark to Frankfurt and back in eight days, and I plan on doing the exact same thing. I just make sure to pack my clothes around the 'pod and to put a bag over the head so the grease from the 3-way pan mechanism doesn't get on my clothes.

Paul, if you get stuck then you will find that Robert will ship guaranteed next day to pretty much anywhere in the UK at standard UK shipping (which is about £10ukp).

I would check the tripod in - if your carrying a LF setup on as hand luggage then your already blowing the 6kg limit and a tripod adds to your risk of having to check the lot in ! Depending on your carrier, they are quite picky about it travelling out of the UK.

Teamwork are a good value supplier of film so if you plan to buy your film here then I suggest pre-arranging supply to make sure that they have stock. They are an excellent dealer.

Best regards

Dave

I carried my Bogen 3021 onboard back in July. I carried it inside my carry on luggage though. I had to take the legs off the base to make it fit inside the luggage. Security was more worried about the hex wrench set I was also carrying to reattach the legs with, than they were with the tripod and ball head. They also let me hand check film. If you plan on just carrying the tripod on with a camera bag, you might want to pack it in a carry on bag or duffel bag. Security might look at it differently then. Arrive early at the security screening and hope for the best.

Jeff

Unless you have a really good reason for <b>not</b> checking it in, check it in. I travel a fair bit (about five dozen segments each year) and the only consistent thing since 9/11 is that you never know what the local security will decide the rules are!

<p>

If you really want to carry it, contact the airline(s) and <b>all</b> relevant airports first. And get official statements in writing. And then be polite! <p>At least in the UK/EU there has been a degree of consistency and official policy is likely to be implemented in the field. Not so elsewhere!

<p>

p.s. expect extra delays and inspections everywhere. Pack in the expectation that you will pack/unpack numerous times on the way. For all sorts of reasons: Eg. Australian customs has decided that <i>now</i> was a good time to introduce to X-ray inspection of all baggage on <i>arrival</i> into Australia.

I think the main point is that before or after Sept 11, 2001, unless it is something very clear cut such as a gun, a lot depends on the discression of the particular security personnel who inspects you. So why take a chance? You may get an OK from one person beforehand but then someone else inspects you later on and may say no.

Paul, incidentally my CFO suggests that you should pick up a couple of Mamiya 7 lenses either at Robert White or Teamwork at deep discount prices (compared to the highly inflated US prices). The more you buy, the more you save, as long as it is not my money. :-)