Travelling to India - Film suggestions?

ridinhome

<p>So I'll be travelling to India next week to spend some time with the family. Well, no not really, I'm travelling so that I can get more use out of my FD glass :-D<br>

Planning taking my T90, 35-105 3.5, 50 1.8 and if I have some space in the bag maybe my 70-210 f4 (I love this lens - have generally had great results with it). I'm also taking my (whisper) 350d (\whisper). I'm trying to decide which film to take with me. Recently I've been using Superia Xtra 400 which hasn't been bad at all but seems like the colors come out a little warm? One thought is to take a bunch of good B&W film to use with the T90 and leave the color shots to the 350D. I've used Ilford Delta 100 before with good results.<br>

I expect to be gone a month or so. Most of my shots will be available light stuff, street photography or indoor stuff with family and friends (will also take my 300TL).<br>

Thoughts?</p>

<p>I've become a fan of the Superia Xtra 400 and that would've been my recommendation. I'd take color shots with film as well as with your digital...sometimes digital color just doesn't quite match film color (even though I've been shooting digital ferociously lately). I'm really looking forward to the pictures you come back with, sort of like experiencing India through your lens.</p>

<p>Do you shoot any transparency film? India conjures images of bold color on Fuji Velvia (either 50 or 100), or Astia if you like less saturation. Provia 400 is quite satisfactory for a fast slide film, good for low light. For color negatives, particularly involving people, I like Fuji Reala. I also shoot some T-Max 100 from time to time. We use Superia 400 as our "utility" film around here. I haven't noticed any particular color bias with it. Maybe I should look a little closer.</p>

<p>Until you started whispering "d" I was going to suggest you take a backup film body on a trip of that extent.</p>

<p>Have a good trip and scan some images for us when you return.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Kayam,</p>

<p>My go to film for people shots is Fuji PRO 160S. Great skin tones, good colors, and this film makes great enlargements. I also like Fuji REALA. ISO 100. This is a good all around film, and I like the look of the prints. I would pick some 400 speed film or even some 800 speed film for difficult lighting situations. A few rolls of each should do the trick.</p>

<p>Have a great trip!</p>

<p>Jeff</p>

<p>Thanks all for the suggestions!<br>

Alan - no have not shot any transparency film. I do want to but I'm nervous to do so without some practice given that it doesn't have as much exposure lattitude. I agree with you, however - India is a country which is crying out for some Velvia. I might end up taking a couple of rolls of transparency film and some negative.</p>

<p>Kayam, I don´t know whereabouts in India you are heading to. If it´s north the weather will probably be cooler, cloudy and with less contrast, if it´s south I would expect sun, high contrast and deep shadows. These variations may influence your film choice.... <br>

I spent a year there (mainly Mumbai and Delhi) with a medium format camera...shot Fujichrome 100ASA slide film, and found a monopod particularly useful for market and crowd scenes. It was easy to pick up and move away when things got too rowdy! Have a great trip....Andy</p>

<p>I second the suggestion for Fuji Pro 160S to compliment the Superia 400 (which is my favorite all rounder for hand holding the camera). The Fuji 160S is one of the highest resolution, finest grain films out there with normal saturation and good speed. Beautiful skin tones. I use a lot of Reala too and like it very much, especially for bright, contrasty conditions or working on a tripod or using flash. After years of shooting slides, I no longer shoot chromes for 35mm photography. I find the modern color neg films are very sharp and fine grained, expose a wide brightness range and scan better with my equipment. I convert them to get B&W although I agree that regular B&W film is a tad sharper with a slightly wider exposure latitude. Have fun and wish you good light.</p>

<p>I'd definitely recommend the Delta 100 and perhaps some HP5+ for low light street photography. For colour film, It's probably best to stick to the film you're familiar with for predictable results.<br>

Send me a message, In case you're planning to visit Bangalore sometime. Have a good trip!</p>

<p>I would suggest Plus-x or FP-4 for brighter days, and Tri-x or HP5 for darker scenarios. The grain isn't as fine as with delta or with Tmax, but I find that it is easier to work with, and that it gives a much nicer tonal range than the more modern films. I used to use Delta almost religiously, but after shooting a few rolls with plus-x I switched, the delta negatives look too flat to me now, and it may have just been a processing error or an exposure error, but I much prefer my negatives with Plus-x and Tri-x. I have a 50 1.4 lens for my F-1 and the images that it puts out are good enough for fairly sharp 11x14 enlargements. Delta is still a good film though if you know how to use it. Plus-x is slightly better for outdoors though in my opinion. </p>