I have $6,000 to spend.....looking for suggestions

john_w

<p>I had my camera equipment stolen and I have an insurance cheque for $5,500 Cdn to spend on camera equipment (Nikon) and am looking for suggestions. I have narrowed it down to the D300s c/w vertical grip but I am kicking stones about lenses - the last time I purchased a lens was >5 yrs ago and I cannot believe the changes since then! <br>

The store has a used Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 for $1000 leaving me with enough cash to pick up a new 80-200mm f2.8D, 1.4x Tele converter, SB-600, bag and come accessories (77mm cir pol filter, 16GB card, and stuff).<br>

or<br>

I can buy a cheap kit lens 18-70mm f4-5.6 or a 16-85mm f5,6 and buy a used Nikon 70-700mm f2.8AF-S VR c/w SB-600, 1.4x tele converter, bag and come accessories (77mm cir pol filter, 16GB card, and stuff) for the same $$<br>

Now I had an older push pull 80-200mm f2.8 and although it was very slow with my D70 it was not a limitation and to be honest I did not see a huge difference in focusing between the 70-200mm f2.8VR and the 80-200mm f2.8D on the D300s - - I shoot mostly portrait and landscape.....and the odd sporting event (kiddies).<br>

I like the idea of keeping it down to 2 lenses body and flash....my days of lugging 2 bodies and 4 lenses are OVER! Any suggestions on the above or am I missing another option??<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

JJ</p>

<p>How about?<br>

Nikon D700<br>

Nikon 17-35mm f2.8<br>

Nikon 80-200mm f2.8<br>

Nikon 50mm 1.8<br>

Nikon SB-600<br>

At B&H all these are $5664 without shipping, which leaves you money for some memory cards as well. BTW, I own all of these and I'm extremely happy with them, although nowdays I use more the Tokina 80-400mm when travelling than the 80-200mm, but the 17-35mm is a must on the D700 for me.</p>

<p>I had the following in my bag<br>

F90x c/w 20mm f2.8 (still shoot B&W), SB-28<br>

D70 c/w 17-70mm<br>

80-200f2.8 ED (push-pull<br>

SB-600<br>

You guys have to remember that I am in Canada and our price structure is very different - for instance the D300s is $2069 and a D700 is $3000 and our tax is an additional 13%. I need to buy everything but either the 15-55mm f2.8 ($1000) <strong>or</strong> the 80-200mm f2.8VR ($1600) from the store new. I am not as serious as I have been in the past so I am looking for a good quality kit with only (ideally) just 2 lenses to keep it simple, and I do not want to put additional $$ into this.<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>Possibly if you are not that serious about photogrphy these days then do not spend serious money on a camera outfit. If you want a DSLR then you might consider the D90 with 50mm f1.8, Tokina 12-24, and Nikon 70-300, sb600 flash. That would run you approximately $2000-$2500. Another option would be the Nikon coolpix P6000 and a SB400 flash. IT's a point and shoot but capable of great images. My wife has a Nikon P90 which is a step down and it takes crisp jpegs that need no photoshop. Just frame it up, fire and print or put into the computer. Just a suggestion but if you want to spend the works on a camera the above suggestions are all excellent. The D300 is a great camera.</p>

<p>Do you have to spend it all on camera or can you take it as cash? If you are not too serious about photography, it makes little sense to buy a D300s or D700, and a D90 will be more than sufficient. The Nikon 17-55/2.8 is an outstanding lens, but is not VRed and quite big and heavy, not the ideal lens for traveling. You may want to consider the Tamron VC version, which is priced at $600 new. If you do want to get a Nikon, it is quite common here that a used one can be had for $800-900 (not sure about the price in Can). 17-50 is a very useful focal length and buying a fast zoom covering this range is worth the investment. </p>

<p>I rarely use long lenses and find the 70-200 VR way too heavy, big, and heavy. If you don't care about VR, the Sigma version is specifically designed for the crop sensor and thus smaller in size and just as excellent optically. Well, if you don't care about VR, you can just use the 80-200 that you already have.</p>

<p>I need to spend all the $$ on a camera......when I say I am not serious I am not shooting weddings anymore. I still shoot a couple of times a month and take my camera with me when scouting for turkey and deer (before the season starts).<br>

The guy at the camera store is cutting me a break and allowing me $1500 back to buy a new PC. I'll probably stick with the D300s the D700 is in excess of my needs!</p>

<p>Thanks all!</p>

<p>D90 - same IQ as the D300, save some weight and $$$<br>

16-85VR - vastly superior to the 18-70<br>

Save up for the spectacular new 70-200 f/2.8 G VR II<br>

Couple the long lens with a 1.4 or 1.7x teleconverter.<br>

Maybe a macro lens or a second D90 body with the balance.</p>

<p>Since money is an issue, here are my recommendations:<br>

Camera: D 300s or a D 90--which one depends on the features you need. There is no reason to buy features you do not need.<br>

Lenses: 18-70 mm DX f 3.5 4.5 kit lens. It takes very good pictures. I use it all the time on my D 300 and D 200. And I have more expensive lenses I could use that I do not need to use. <br>

Add a fast prime of your choice, like a Nikon 35mm f 1.8 G AFS, 24mm F 2.8 AF (FX) or a 20mm f 2.8 AF (FX). And consider getting the just discontinued 70-200mm f 2.8 AFS VR if your budget can afford it. If not get a used 80-200mm or a used 70-210mm push pull f 3.5-f5.6. Ckeck out used prices at KEH camera. <br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I suffered a very similar theft loss over the summer (My wife, as we walk back to our car -- "That's not your car; that one has a broken window!" Exactly!)<br>

I actually like the list that you came up with a great deal. I had (or still have, in some cases) most of what you described. I used to use my now stolen D300 with my now stolen 17-55 all the time, and it was a very satisfying combination, And, until I got the now stolen 70-200VR, I used my 80-200 with the D300 constantly as well, and with excellent results. After allowing for the 1.5x conversion, the 17-55 is effectively a 25 to 80 or so, which is pretty much perfect for the landscape and portrait photography that you described. Finally, I had a 2x converter for my 80-200, which I think was actually too contrasty. I think that the 1.4x that you are thinking of is a much better choice, especially for the D300.<br>

Someone in this list recommended the D700 and 17-55 combination, but you can't do that (the 17-55 is a DX lens and the D700 is an FX body). Someone else recommended the D700 with the 17-35 and 50mm fixed, but for me this is not as versatile as I would like (as they say, "your mileage may vary"). <br>

On the other hand, getting the 17-55 with a D300 is an excellent combination., and a lot cheaper. One last consideration -- make sure that the 1.4x that you get with the 80-200 works with that lens. The Nikon won't, for example. In my humble opinion, the Kenko PRO300 1.4X is teriffic.<br>

For what it's worth, I replaced my stolen D300 and 5 lenses with a D700, and I like it a great deal. Alas, good lenses for the D700 are very expensive. I now have the 14-24 f2.8, the 24-70 f2.8, and I've revived my old 80-200 f2.8 (while I'm waiting for the new 70-200 VR2 to come out). For me, this is an improvement, because I'm down from 5 lenses to 3, and I could probably even do without the 14-24.<br>

Good luck, and enjoy the new stuff!<br>

-- Forrest</p>

<p>I would go with the D90 as well and spend the rest on lenses. The D90 is still worlds ahead of the D70 with the internal computing power alone. it has been proven that the D90 takes images as well as the D300s and the only advantages to the D300s is the 51 point AF and the weather sealing. but the weather seal will eventually wear out and you usually find that out in the harshest way. better to buy a cover for $30 and stay protected. with what you save on the D90 you can invest into the 70-200 vr (not sure I would worry about going full VR2. The original works just fine. add the 1.4 telcon and your set. spend the rest on computer and software if you can.</p>

<p>Well, If you want to keep it simple, I think your pick's are pretty good although I would recommend the 70-200 VR 2.8 over the 80-200. On a Dx camera, (or Fx) the 17-35 is aces - nice effective zone of 25-50mm on the 300 and the 70-200 is fabulous. You can have the 50 1.8 for a "tweeners", or even a 50 1.4 for better low light benefit. (not much, ,but real)</p>

<p>Mostly portrait and landscape. In my book that's shallow dof combined with creamy bokeh and wide angle on a tripod.<br />D700, 85mm F1,4 and 17-35 or wide angle prime and a 300mm AF-s F4.<br />Skip the SB600 and go for the SB900. There is quite a difference there.<br>

Spare cash can be spend on a 50mm. I got an 50mm AF F1.8 non-d and it's magical on my D700</p>

<p>Lemme see if I can spend $6000 for ya:</p>

<p>D300s ------------------------- $1575.95 (free shipping from B&H)<br>

80-200 ------------------------ $1099.95 (free shipping from B&H)<br>

17-55 ------------------------- $1339.95 (free shipping from B&H)<br>

10-24 ------------------------- $789.00 (free shipping from B&H)<br>

SB-600 ----------------------- $219.00 (free shipping from B&H)<br>

Bogen 055CXPro3 ----------- $375.00 (free shipping from B&H)<br>

RRS BH-40 ------------------ $375.00 (plus shipping)<br>

The total comes to about $5800. That'll leave you a few bucks for cards and a polarizer - or you could pick up either the 50 1.8 or 35 1.8 for a low light prime.</p>

<p>Jonathan wrote:<br>

<em>it has been proven that the D90 takes images as well as the D300s</em><br>

No. You can say this again and again, and it still will not be true. The D90 is *not* equal to the D300 in terms of image quality. Period, end of discussion. Please stop writing in this forum misinformation regarding the D90.<br>

Please do what I have been telling you to do for months, and go over to dpreview and read their review of the D90. <br>

The D300 is quite a bit above the D90 in most areas. The D90 has the same pixel count and the same rear LCD. That is about it I'm afraid. Other than those two areas, it is a very different camera.</p>

<p>Dave I have no clue who the heck you even are. image to image setting to setting the D90 produces the same image as the D300s. Except for the 51 point AF, and the weather seal. the sensor is the exact same, so the image will be the exact same. I care not what dpreview says. I get my info straight from the source NIKON. You know, the people that make the camera. </p>