Use Exakta lens with auto diaphragm release?

kl122007

<p>I bought a Canon lens mount converter E to use exakta lens. But I wondered whether I coud mount an Exakta lens with auto diaphragm release, ie., with an additional shutter release button bsides the lens. <br />I have heard that some may found problem with their EOS system, but how about the FD system? Will that be the same?</p>

<p>Where would this shutter release button come from? would it be a cable type release screwed into the shutter button on the camera? Or would it be so part of the lens. To the best of my knowledge there will be NO communication between the lens and the body with this simple mechancial connection adapter.</p>

<p>I think the question is whether there's enough clearance for the external diaphragm mechanism on an Exakta mount lens when mounting it to a Canon FD/FL body using the Lens Converter E. I don't have any such lenses, but it appears to me that there should not be any interference. However, I don't think Topcon RE lenses will fit this converter because of the aperture levers.</p>

<p>You will have to stop down to meter, of course. The traditional Exakta aperture "automation" was external -- you simply pushed down the button on the lens, which first closed the aperture blades and then tripped the shutter release on the camera (1 in the picture). Older stop-down lenses have no auto apertures and so have no shutter release button on them. Some of the automatic lenses have a collar around the release that can be twisted to hold the apertures to a stopped-down condition. Others you might just have to hold down.<br /> The main exceptions to the Exakta lens story are some very late lenses made for the Exakta RTL 1000 and kin that have an internal pin and mechanism very similar to that on M42 auto lenses (2).</p><div>00V0xn-190923584.jpg.6d79285e48cfe6c98b7df6403a051b0b.jpg</div>

<p>What I want to ask is Gordon's meaning. I have tried to put a Xenon 50/1.9 on a EOS body with adapter but the diaphragm can not close due to lacking of space for the external button to be pressed. THe lens is just like the one JDM 's photo (1). <br />And hence, I wish to know if there would have the same problem in my F-1. I am worried about that becaus eI ordered a Flektogon with this feature.</p>

<p>Actually, there are some lenses that do not mount on the non-APS-C Canon EOS bodies (sorry FD folks, but the issue may be the same for the FD mount film cameras as well, so don't get mad at us). Even on non-Exakta cameras with Exakta mounts (Topcon and Mamiya Prismat) it is often the case that only the pre-set lenses can be mounted because of lack of clearance for the external auto-diaphragm button. So, since you'll have to stop down anyhow to use these on any Canon body, it may be a good general rule to only buy pre-set Exakta lenses. Some of these like the Biotar 58mm f/2 are superb even compared to new, modern lenses, except that they don't have the latest coating technology, of course.</p>

<p>There is a list of compatibility issues for M42 and other lenses with EOS 5D cameras at (<a href="http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/">link</a> )* I would guess that the lenses that have problems with the mirror are going to have the same problems on at least some FD cameras as well.<br /> _____________<br /> *Wow, this is like the third time today for this link, are we all just the same folks churning?-- well no matter.</p>

<p>I have seen this question asked in one form or another in several different threads now and, my question would be, with all of the excellent FD glass out there and, with the practically bargain prices it sells for these days, why would you want to adapt something like that to fit an FD body? Also if you feel that these other lenses are better, didn't they also make most of them in M42 mount, and wouldn't that be easier to use if adapted to FD? That or just pick up an Exakta body to use the lenses on. It isn't usually the body that makes or breaks a photograph, pretty much everything I have ever read suggested that glass was much more important than the body it is mounted to.</p>

<p>I don't think the FD stuff is cheap anymore after the summer has gone. Price rised slightly eventhough it seems it is ok. And since Canon did make these adapters for these lenses so it has no conflict to use them. I don't think I have aganist the rule of FD system. <br />Besides the m42 version is much enxpensive than that of the exakta, that's why I won't go for m42.</p>

• 6 months later...
<p>Lots of really good FD glass, especially the L series. However, IMHO, the two finest marks are Leitz and Zeiss. I don't think that one is better than the other, only different. I've also got some very nice Steinheil glass, all from my Varex days. Got rid of the Exakta long ago but kept the lenses. There's no problem adapting them to the F-1 or New F-1. Just remove the pin that fired the Exakta shutter and use a double cable release either by itself on a tripod or with a pistol grip. The nice thing about the pistol grip is that it can be mounted left or right.</p>