Daily Use Bag

jeff_bubis

<p>I have a Lowepro backpack for when I need to take a lot of gear, but have been using an old Lowepro Photorunner for years as a daily use bag and for short travel. I'm starting to think it's too small, though. I would like to be able to carry a 7D with a 17-55 and either a prime or (rarely) a 70-200. I'd also like a spot for my camcorder (a Canon "palm"-corder) - which I'd probably take in place of the 70-200 - and a few filters and smaller accessories. I've narrowed my search to a ThinkTank UD30 or a Billingham Hadley. I saw the ThinkTank in a local store and liked it, but the pictures and reviews of the Billingham make me covet one. Unfortunately, we don't have a Billingham dealer locally Like everyone else, I want something "just right" - not too small, but so large that I might as well have taken my backpack. I'm interested in others' thoughts and experiences. I'm also open to other suggestions. My only absolute requirements are that the bag have a zipper or some other closure that is more secure that Velcro or plastic tabs and that it be weatherproof. I thank you all in advance for your thoughts and advice.</p>

<p>All bags grow too small, as you begin to pack gear you didn't have when you needed it. Eventually, you go back to a larger bag, then shop for another smaller one when you groan picking it up. It's not so much capacity as weight that limits a "day" bag. Once you exceed about 15 pounds, it gets hard to carry a shoulder bag for more than a couple of hours.</p>

<p>Thinktank bags make good use of space, due to their rectangular design. The quality of construction is very high, especially their zippers. For weather resistance, it's hard to beat LowePro, with their "rain coats" which store easily and are quickly deployed. LowePro probably makes the best, practical shoulder bags. The latest variations of their venerable Magnum Pro AW line look very interesting.</p>

<p>Personally, I don't care if my camera bag looks like a camera bag. Billingham bags look stylish, if that's what floats your boat. They are made well, but are not especially practical with their flaps, straps and buckles.</p>

<p>Very hard to find the 1 "just right" bag. If you go with thinktank consider the UD 35 over the 30. With the 30, I do not think you will be able to use a 70-200 attached assuming you have the 2.8, I think it will hold a F4 version. I have the 35 and the 20. I use the UD 35 when I want to use my 70-200 2.8 and the UD 20 when I go with smaller lenses or primes. Both are excellent bags. I would not really consider the 35 a small bag, I actually use it as my large bag because I do not care for backpacks. </p>

<p>Thinktank makes some great bags, you may want to check out some of the newer wired up bags, they look pretty good too.</p>