AE-1 Program...What are your thoughts and impressions of this camera?

Andy Collins

<p>I recently acquired a near-pristine AE-1P with an FD 50/1.8 and a Tamron 35-210/3.5-4.2 for next to nothing. I had one of these a long time ago and didn't think very highly of it, but that was when AF cameras were still fairly new to me and excited me much more. I initially approached this one with the same disdain I had for my previous one, but after handling it and then using it I think that I might really enjoy this camera. The "P" mode is nice for those lazy days when I don't feel like doing anything more than focusing. The only thing I don't like is that the mirror return isn't as snappy as an FTb--maybe a little more like that on a manual Minolta. All in all, I think that I will grow fond of this little camera as it handles very nicely and is fairly compact and lightweight. What are some of your experiences and thoughts on the AE-1 Program?</p>

<p>well let see the AE-1 and AE-1 Program were two for the best selling 35mm SLR cameras in history. And the market generally weeds out the chaff pretty quick. It's now 30 years since the camera you have was introduced to the market and you have one working sitting in your hands.</p>

<p>The AE-1P is an excellent camera that with once a decade servicing will do almost any chore expected of an advanced amateur 35mm camera.</p>

<p>The dread Canon "squeek" is usually lack of lubrication in the mirror mechanism, or so I am told by those who seem to know. I don't know if this has any relation to your "slow" mirror or not, but it occurs as a possibility.<br>

At the time the AE-1 and 1P were new, I was still shooting Nikons and very arrogant about it. Now I have a nice working AE-1P and find it a sweet camera. I got it partly because the lenses were so cheap, and I wanted the Spiratone motor attachment, because.. well, I just did. One of these days, I'll get the T90, but for now the AE-1P represents one of the last "pre-modern" (i.e., non "plastic") bodies before the EOS line.</p>

<p>I owned an AE-1 and an A-1 for years and shot thousands of exposures with those two cameras. After I bought my A-1, I'll admit I looked down my nose a bit at the AE-1P, but not long after that, I realized that the AE-1P had the advantage of being an update to both the AE-1 and also the A-1, in at least one respect. The A-1's focusing screens can be interchanged, but it takes a tech to do it (the camera has to be opened up), whereas the AE-1P's are user interchangeable. So the AE-1P was not really a "poor man's A-1", which is the way I used to think of it. It was an improvement in at least that one respect. I think the way LEDs are used in the AE-1P, while not as full-featured as the A-1, are more analog-like in their arrangement, which I find that I prefer.</p>

<p>A few months ago, my Mother decided to give me her Canon FD gear because she hasn't used it in over a decade and she knew I still use mine. Among it was a pristine AE-1P. So, it was only recently that I've had a chance to use this camera. It's a good, solid photographic tool, and has withstood the test of time. Sure, it has its quirks, a few of which I find a bit annoying, but as long as one knows what they are one can work around them.</p>

<p>I agree with JDM regarding your mirror. If it isn't squeaking yet, just give it a bit more time. A first symptom is it beginning to slow some. The mirror box squeak is an extremely common condition with the A-series Canons, and is actually a very easy fix for those experienced with dealing with it.</p>

<p>Nothing wrong with it at all. People have varying opinions about its operational quirks and ergonomics, of course. Oddly, though people complain about holding A-series cameras, I have big hands and I find them quite comfortable, especially with the "sport grip" on the AE-1P. I recently picked up an EF and find it uncomfortable by comparison.</p>

<p>I bought one for my wife in 1984. It has needed the mirror governor lubed, as they nearly all do, but other than that it's still going strong. It's rarely been off the green "P," still giving consistent, good exposures after 25 years. Fewer bells and whistles than the A-1 or T90, of course, but as a box with an opening to admit light, it makes photos as good as anything.</p>

<p>I have several A-series cameras. I find that at their age the mirror return is slower on some than others, even when the governor squeak has been addressed. There seems to be an additional factor involved. I have an AE-1 mirror box somewhere...I'll have to see what's up with that.</p>

<p>I hadn't thought about it, but with the mirror damper in there, the mirror may never have been as fast as in the FTb. It could afford to be faster, since it has lockup.</p>

<p>I should clarify the statement about the mirror; I don't think it's slowing down, I just think it was never as fast in its return by design as some other cameras I'm more familiar with. In fact, this camera, from outward appearances, seems as though it was serviced not too long ago. The mirror damper looks fairly new, the seals look really good, and there's no hint of squeak at all. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had been lubed as well, including the mirror. Some cameras simply have a slower mirror return than others and I think this is the case with the AE-1P as opposed to something like the FTb or certainly the F-1. It's no slower than some of my other classic cameras like my Minoltas, for example. On another note as Alan mentioned, I do like the sport grip on it which makes it comfortable to hold in my big hands. A lot of other camera could have used this as well.</p>

<p>This is an extremely fine camera. I used a pair for many years as back ups to my F-1's. Now I use T90's, mostly for the superior meter, but the AE-1P has many advantages. It's quite lightweight with surprising durability. I never had a single failure. A complete array of user changeable focusing screens. Easy to find 6v batteries. A GREAT motor drive (MA). Even without a motor attached the little finger grip made it much nicer to hold and use. The P mode is amazingly accurate which helped its popularity. Black bodies are somewhat rare and desirable.<br>

Of course, its main strength is it fits all FD lenses, bellows, A series databack etc. It's main weakness, for me at the time, was the centerweighted avg meter (good but I'm not a fan of any of them), no TTL flash, and only 1/60 flash sync speed. I prefer Av mode but Shutter priority is fine. These cameras, like all the A series, really wants to be CLA'd every 10-15 years to keep the in top shape. Dried lube or a sticky mirror pad may conspire to slow your mirror return. The MA motor cranks that shutter at 4FPS so the mirror return should be reasonably quick.</p>

<p>The AE1-P is a great camera unless you want true manual use. I have had one for over 25 years and it is still going strong (mind you so are my pair of New F1s, pair of T90s and my A1). The program mode is rather useless - I think I have only ever used it when I handed the camera to someone else.</p>

<p>i really enjoy this camera! Mine was a gift. Straight and simple, the FD50mm1.8.the zoom FD35~105mmf3.5,the 28mmf3.5(sigma?),Dedicated flash,a bag.. It's a way better camera than the AE-1 i think somebody wrote here it's really a stripped down A-1.i have the crushed mouse noise!The zoom like most zooms has severe distortions.i prefer primes.The battery door was cracked in half..i made a replacement with metal from a Pepsi can, black art tape..It's jim handy to use, the 50mm very much the equal of my Leica-Summicron,except for flare.The FD doesn't.Great to carry around. Plastic guys!'s mainly plastic construction..Another great thing one can use the Canons(AE-s,F1 etc) with Leicas as everything is so similar except the slr vs rf viewing.</p>

<p>Regarding the mirror return, I can second what Louis said regarding the Motor Drive MA -- the 4fps part. The MD MA is rated at 4.5 fps for the A-1, as I recall from way back when I owned one and an A-1. I never understood why it was slightly slower on the AE-1P, and maybe it's the mirror return, I dunno. I kind of always figured that both cameras used the same shutter and mirror box anyway.</p>

<p>I have an AE-1P and an FTbn sitting in front of me right now. I don't think this AE-1P has ever been serviced and if the FTb has, it hasn't been in the last 10 years, I'll wager. But I'd have to say that the mirror return times for both cameras is very close to each other. The FTb's might be a small fraction of a second faster. But I don't see how that can matter much.</p>

<p>I will say one more thing about the Motor Drive MA -- it is an accessory that, once I installed it on my camera, it never came off. I have semi-large hands, and I found it much more comfortable to hold the camera by the MD MA's grip. I also really appreciated the vertical shutter release, as well as the high-speed over-ride button. I almost never used it for capturing multiple images in continuous mode, preferring the ability to keep my eye to the viewfinder as the film advanced. Currently, I have a Winder A attached to my AE-1P, which is useful for the same sort of thing, but the faster recycling time of the MD MA makes it a tad more useful. Plus it's just flat-out more comfortable to hold. Anyway, a very worthwhile addition, if you should run across one.</p>

<p>hi, i have 2 Canon AE-1 program various modificated by Canon bodies to sell !!!!!!<br>

they called Canon F-A !!!!!<br>

one is only the body , the other is with special Motordrive MZ !!!!!!<br>

both where built special for opthalmologic eye doctors !!!!<br>

If there is one interested to buy them for collection , please mail me for price offer !!!!!!<br>

regards Detlef</p><div>00V2Uc-191939684.jpg.e5f1f4a59fd8301dbc8c2adc4bc1e7f1.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...