My lens choices - what do you think?

june_daley

<p>June, I purchased the 100-400, it is heavy but it has a great reach, sharp enough not like a prime though. I've been using it with a kenko 1.4 teleconverter. So my 40D with a crop factor of 1.6 x 1.4 x 400= 896 mm of zoom. I bought it from Harvey Norman (australia) no ebay and stuff like that when you pay ober $2000. I paid $2300 and ebay was selling it for the same or more. Buy it from a place where you can return it if not sharp or something wrong, if.</p>

<p>June - the 100-400 is a great outdoor lens. The only thing strange about it is that it's a push-pull zoom design vs the twist types that are in the majority. If you like bird photography and doing portraits, the group of 17-40, 24-105 and 100-400 should make a great lens set. You'd have 17-400 in only 3 lenses with no gaps (plus all are L glass and two of the three with IS). The previously listed link to a test of Canon 400 lenses seems a bit supect to me. The test was done at only 15 feet. Not many people select a 400mm lens to shoot at 15 feet. I would think that length lens is optimized for best results at much longer distances.</p>

<p>I've got over 450 transactions on eBay, almost all of them in the 'photography' area. Of those, just two turned out badly, and on one of them, I much later got a refund. There are of course cautions.</p>

<p>The rating system means a little more now <em>for the buyer</em> than it did formerly, when the vendor could retaliate for a bad rating. Still, ratings are no always to be trusted. One scam is to run up a large number of small, positive ratings, and then move in for the kill with a high-priced scam, collect the money and disappear. Generally don't buy from new vendors, unless you can afford a risk. There are bargains to be had if you are patient, but avoid last-minute frenzies of bidding. I have bought a number of AF Canon EOS lenses on eBay for my daughter and myself (e.g., two 28-135mm IS lenses because the Post Office broke one in shipping, but paid off the insurance [which always get on big purchases]), and had great luck. Some reliable vendors like Cameta also sell on eBay, and I got a very good price there on a 10-20mm Sigma. Other vendors like Adorama sell on Amazon, but do check their own website--in some cases the shipping is <em>higher</em> on Amazon.</p>

<p>I'd go for the 24-105 as well. Even on my 450D, it has been my favorite lens that I've used. I currently am renting a 24-70 and only one day of use I'm not really feeling it. Of course, I'm looking for a walkaround so that's probably why. <br>

I'm also thinking of going for the 200mm L and just buying an extender. I think the 200 is fantastic. Maybe that could be a way to go.</p>