D90 and what lens?

r._bond

<p>I'd just get whatever kit lens comes with the D90. Is it the 24-105? Then I'd use it and see what I like... if I wanted to go wider, I'd get something wider, if I wanted to go longer, I'd get something long.</p>

<p>But until you are out there doing it, you won't know what you need. The 18-200 is also a good suggestion, but you'll probably get the kit lens for much less when you buy the camera.</p>

<p>Another good "getting a feel" lens is the 18-70. Its a good performer and very inexpensive (but still delivers quality).</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I purchased my D90 late March this year. It came with an 18-105 f/3.3-5.6G ED VR & I added the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR. When I shot a roller derby game using the 18-105 the lighting was low & I had to use my SB-900 flash. The shots were good around 30 feet & less but anything farther the pics were under exposed & when I edited them on my laptop to brighten them up I received a lot of grain in the pics. Same thing happened when I shot a football game at night with my 70-300 lens. I had to use a slower shutter speed to allow more light in & not being that good at panning a lot of shots were blurry. If you are shooting in low light a lot I would got to a faster lens (Smaller f#). It all depends on how much money is available. Besides that I really enjoy the lenses. They are not that expensive & I find that they do a great job for beginners. Someone told me that you buy a decent camera but don’t cheep out on lenses. You may spend over double the price as a regular lens but you never have to replace it with a faster lens when needed. Unfortunately my budget wouldn’t allow me to purchase a faster lens. </p>

<p>Bond...Rachel Bond...wonderful name. I would second Eric's suggestion of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Sharp, lightweight and a great all-rounder. There is also the 28-75 f2.8 if a little more reach is required. BTW, hang on to every word at your classes. Other than your camera it's the best purchase you could make. Love from Downunder...Mark</p>

<p>If you are planning to do landscapes or shots with a wide sense of place, consider a Sigma 10-20mm. These can be quite sharp and capture the broad sweep of dramatic places, or interior shots that show how architectural spaces work inside. I also have a 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 Nikkor that takes very pleasing landscapes. It goes wide enough to begin to capture the feeling of a place, and goes long enough for portraits without being in your subject's face. If you get these consider a good tripod and ball head. Some reviewers say that the humble 18-55 Nikkor vr (under $200) covers a lot of interesting range with very good sharpness. I don't have that one so I can't say first hand, though.</p>

<p>To directly answer your question, I suggest a telephoto zoom with the widest range you can afford. </p>

<p>And to make a comment about your question; WOW! When I was in my photography classes in college NOBODY was allowed to use any kind of automatic equipment whatsoever. With that said, I suppose nowadays with digital cameras the meta data will show the settings, therefor, the exposure could be made with all manual settings to get the same educational experience as my 'old school' days.</p>