Contax G Stockists(Preferably in the UK)

sd_woods

<p>Earlier today I was quoted, by KEH, $65 to send a lens to the UK(currently waiting on a response as to whether or not they'll offer a different shipping service, as this is the price for the express service, when I need the thing for Christmas). It's not a big bulky heavy lens, it's a tiny little 45mm Planar. And so, this got me thinking, are there any stockists of a G1 and a 45mm Planar in the UK? I've tried Ffordes, but they quote £249 for a G1 body with databack, and I'm not paying that.<br /> So, basically, are there any dealers in the UK who would make it worthwhile to buy here, rather than to import from the US?</p>

<p>This place is outside the UK, and the site is in Japanese, but you'll find good deals on gear, and not get ripped off on the shipping.<br /> http://www.mapcamera.com/sho/search.php?category_id=lens<br /> In the search window enter "contax g" (or any other maker you are interested in), press "enter", and you'll see what they have in stock. Map's prices are a little high for Japan, but are often better than what you'll find on Ebay. Map ships via EMS, which is reliable and not overly expensive.<br /> If you have the Google tool bar, you can get translate Japanese pages into English.</p>

<p>So far, it seems that KEH is still the cheapest option. It was working out at £216 for body and lens from KEH, without shipping. Even factoring in worldwide express shipping(the only worldwide service they offer for some reason), $100 at an estimate, it's still cheaper to buy from KEH. I don't know if KEH is cheap or the UK is just expensive, but it's still food for thought.</p>

<p>avoid the classic camera exchange like the black plague. Sky high prices, items not in the condition advertised, totally out of date web site, I ended up making an official complaint to UK trading standards about this guy. I simply would not trust him...lots of his 'UK' items are not in the UK at all, but in Germany. He lists on ebay as UK, but then items mysteriously appear from Germany, which he fails to mention. Items listed as 'mint' have small scratches on lenses etc. Simply not trustworthy in my opinion.</p>

<p>There are three on U.K.'bay at present, one body only,two with lens. I have no connection with the sellers, except being a customer of Campkins who are good to deal with. I do'n't know where you are but if you are in S.E. England you could try before you buy! I had the same trouble some years ago when I had a hankering for one.I gave up,and ended up with Leica been poor ever since!</p>

<p>Can't beat Japan on prices. The local shop here has a G2 kit with the 28 and 90mm lens, flash, boxes, and literature for only $500. Japan may be further away than the US, but what you save on used gear here makes up for the shipping often many times over. I just picked up a mint black G2 for only $350. I look at the prices on the big auction site and wonder how people can pay so much for some of this stuff.</p>

<p>I asked KEH, shipping can be done much cheaper than that. Getting it at $6 I think(waiting on confirmation). The trouble is, the cheapest G1 body they have is at $275, and that's a bit much. I'd probably pay about $220 at most. Any Japanese sites in English, who also have English customer service? I would be willing to entertain that.</p>