Pocket Wizards for Weddings

stephen_kinosh

<p>What's currently available will be fine but I'd certainly love to have the TTL option available with wireless triggering.</p>

<p>I am actually using the CyberSync system from Paul C Buff. I can trigger it from a couple of hundred feet away and I've never had an issue with them. I like that both the transmitter and receiver units are smaller and lighter than the Pocket Wizards (and a lot less expensive). During a wedding reception, I have multiple flash units set up and I don't want the P&S cameras that the guests bring to trigger them, so I buy a receiver for each flash unit I have. Buying a $70 CS receiver is cheaper than the PW!</p>

<p>The main drawback is that I have to attach my transmitter to my Sekonic meter in order to take readings and then attach it to the camera again (it got to be a such a PITA/anoyance that I just bought another transmitter specifically for the meter). I have the Pocket Wizard transmitter module in my Sekonic as well since I sometimes rent studio space and the studios use PWs. Much more convenient.</p>

<p>So, if you can, I'd wait for the iTTL versions from PW for Nikon.<br>

Else, if you don't use an external meter or don't mind occasionally taking the transmitter off your camera and attaching it to a meter, then I'd suggest saving some money and go with the CyberSync system.<br>

If neither of those options work for you, then the current PW offerings are fine. In fact, they are more than "fine", as most studios and pros use them.</p>

<p>I use the PW (current system) and shoot the wedding in Manual mode. I do test shots (starting with the old standby - 1/125 F/9 ISO 200) then check the histogram and adjust from there. </p>

<p>Using that method I can usually get to where I need to be within 3 test shots.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I use the FlashWave-2 system from G9Chon:</p>

<p><a href="http://g9chon.com/RSFW1.html">http://g9chon.com/RSFW1.html</a></p>

<p>They are less expensive than Pocket Wizards and I have found them to be very reliable. One of the best features is that they come with hot shoe adapters built in so you don't need to fuss with cables to connect the flash units to their receivers. </p>

<p>Like David H I do everything in manual mode on the camera and the flash units; I too set up, take a couple test shots, and then go to work. It's rather easier than it sounds and its not difficult to get good results with just a little practice.</p>

<p>I also use the PW and I know they are expensive but they work! Normally I can have up to 4 big lights plugged in during the reception and I also have the Sekonic with the PW module. I simply use the big lights to boost ambient lighting while I have a 580 on my camera with the PW mounted on the 580 flash. The PW is NOT connected to my flash (to my camera instead) so my flash retains TTL should I need it. I use my 580 at low power (1/8 ish) and let my bigger lights fill the room. I push my mounted 580 to fill in the scene. If the reception room posses enough lights, I them switch to one of 580's on a light stand at 1/4 power while I fill in with 580 on my camera. I have used this setup with PW but I find the slave/master option on my 580 reliable enough to get the shot. v/r Buffdr</p>