Compact digital camera

<p>My neighbour has asked for my help in obtaining a decent compact digital camera for her 11 year old son. She thinks he should have a zoom lens and she doesn't want to pay more than £100. Is this a tall order?<br /> I was looking at the Ricoh R8 and the Canon Power Shot A1100 IS. I suspect the zoom on the Ricoh has been extended too far and the Canon could be preferable. Anyone have any better ideas? There seem to be a great many compact cameras but I suspect some of them are not very good.</p>

<p>Thanks again. I do suspect that Samsung are getting their act together! I think their cameras are made in China - almost everything I have is made in China (including my wife!). The UK had the largest Empire the world has ever seen and the US is certainly the greatest nation the world has ever seen but for how long? China could be about to awake and then we should all watch out.<br>

Isn't the Web incredible? I live just north of Manchester Airport in the UK and I can communicate with people on the other side of the world.</p>