Should I switch from Canon to Nikon for weddings?

otto_haring

<p>If you ae using lenses wide open be very precise with focussing. If you use AF I can recommend first to compose and selct the apprpriate AF sensor for focussing. Recompossing when usign only the center focus sensor will again bring the risk that your focussed point will be out of focus.<br>

If I use my lens full y open I also use manual focus. Even during a wedding. Spend time in it and learn from your errors. Also the 5D Mark II has microfocus adjust. So you can finetune the focus error of your lens i.c.w. your camera. Maybe there is also something to win.<br>

And as mentioned before, post processing is neccesary for optimum focus. RAW images need shapening in the end and there are several techniques for it.<br>

From the other hand if you think Nikon gives you better results then why not rent some gear for a couple of days and do some tests. After that do some honest compares.<br>

my 5 ct</p>

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Are there reasons to change systems ... sure. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc. etc. are not all the same.</p>

<p>It depends on your objectives and personal vision as to which is best for you.</p>

<p>But no change will make you a better photographer, only help you hone in on those personal creative objectives.</p>

<p>Define that and you can make more informed decisions about what gear you need, and what you don't need.</p>

<p>-</p>

<p>Funny, it seems like I am the only one here who thinks the so called "blurry" images on his websites are actually pretty good. You do have the skill to capture the moment and to frame your subject very well. And the softness that some people pointed out, I actually liked them in some of the pictures. Not all though. I think some of them do appear like that because of how you post process the skin? (it appears to 'mushy' or 'plasticky'?)</p>

<p>But then again I am not a fan of those plastic look like those you find from lots of magazine covers.</p>

<p>But if you really really insist on jumping to Nikon, I am happy to buy a new set of D300s with 85mm 1.8 for you, and in return you send me your 5DMkII and the 85mm 1.2 :)</p>

<p>Seriously though, since you live in US, why not pick one weekend when you're not on a job, rent a D700 with a Nikon pro-grade prime and zoom, and just shoot around and see how it goes? Afterall this sort of thing is very subjective, so you're the only person who can answer your question.</p>

<p>lol, where is Otto by the way? thats it for me , never answering one more of those "Canon or Nikon questions'' I try to be very objective and fair with OP's when answering. but now I think is childish to even ask this questions and dumb from me to answer. have fun all you "BRANDFAN" guys and girls and "EQUIPMENT GEEKS" I'll be bussy taking pics.<br>

LONG LIVE THE HOLGA AND THE OKTOMAT.</p>

<p>"So, why not have your equipment checked for focusing problems and maybe try to learn some more post production techniques before spending your cash?"</p>

<p>Yeah, I think you are right.</p>

<p>Do you think the fine calibration system of the new 5D MArk II would help?</p>

<p>Hey Guys!<br /> 1. I don't mind the negative comments like: " Upgrade the photographer, not the gear."<br /> "looked at the web site, there seems to be a lack of post processing on some of the images"<br /> I really appreciate your help!!! I am not perfect, I know.<br>

<br /> 2. I DO use high end UV filter! I will remove all of them!<br>

3. At least some of you guys liked some of my pictures. It makes me fell much better! Much better!</p>

<p>I have shot side-by-side with my seconds on numerous occasions (both have Nikons). When the style is not different, they are very hard to tell apart.</p>

<p>I can tell you that I just got a 7D two weeks ago, and as an upgrade from a 40D, it has an outstanding AF system. I would consider it if I were you.</p>

<p>Hi Otto... I'm a semi-pro freelance photographer and if there is any piece of advice I can give you is merely this:<br>

Cameras don't take pictures... people do. I have shot with both Nikon & Canon, but have held true to Canon (personal preference). I know that there are some of your favorite pros shoot with Nikon and I'm sure they would agree that it's not so much their equipment but more of their approach, style and work flow.<br>

I think you're equipment is awesome; and you should NOT switch but instead study their technique and workflow. Sometimes we photographers get caught up in the same monotonous routine of shooting and doing things simply because it worked well before. I think it is important that we stretch the envelope and push beyond the mediocracy.<br>

Remember, we as photographers have a gift and that gift is one that needs to constantly be polished. We have the ability of freezing and capturing time...essence... soul.... with every shot we take we write the pages of someone's happy moments.<br>

In the end... it is not your equipment. It boils down to what you're doing... and how you're doing it. Reflect and retreat... I believe renting a Nikon and shooting with it is a great way to see for yourself that it is not your equipment... it's merely things you have to change up in how you shoot to how you post process.<br>

I hope this helps some... :)</p>

<p>There are too many possible factors to consider before you jump to conclusions about camera systems. Firstly, Canon has had a few problems in the autofocus department. I would get your gear checked out by a Canon service center to make sure everything is calibrated properly. I used to shoot Canon and I had to send in brand new L glass a lot for calibration in order to make even one acceptable image. Once you verify your gear is solid, shoot with it for a while and see if your images change for the better.<br>

Next, ergonomics and ease of use plays an important part in your enjoyment of shooting. Check out some of the other Canon bodies. Try a 1-series body just to feel the difference. The 5D MKII is a great camera as well.<br>

I prefer the Nikon "feel" over Canon but my choice to switch was really based on a return to Nikon once the newer sensors were introduced. I had always used Nikon for 35mm film and Hasselblad for medium format. I personally like the Nikon bodies (I shoot D700) over anything else. But, as some have said, there are a few Canon lenses that are not yet equaled by Nikon and you have those already.<br>

My Canon system included 5D plus 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 135 2.0 for primes. All excellent lenses yet I still prefer the Nikon. I loved my Canon 24-70 2.8 and I was fortunate to have gotten a sharp one after a few attempts (notorious lens for focus issues). But, my Nikon 24-70 2.8 is probably the best lens I have ever found over almost all others. The resolution is without equal.<br>

Switching systems involves a large cash investment. I'd be 100% sure that you are really using your current system properly before deciding on a different direction. Take some classes, practice a lot, take a photoshop class and do more with post production. Then you will be really "armed" to make decisions about camera systems.</p>

<p>A few words about your website Otto. There are a lot of typos. Bad spelling cheapens the site. Are you really located in all of those places? Do you have offices in every country? I have a feeling people will consider your info to be rather pretentious. Why not just say "available internationally for destination weddings"?<br>

If you cannot match the information you are displaying with complete confidence in your work and your equipment, it won't add up. Your images are nice. They show you have talent, but yes, some are a bit soft. I suspect either some calibration issues or maybe it's camera settings. There are a lot of action type pictures and they can be tricky to choose the right settings for a good exposure. I'd get your gear checked out. I really think you have some good pictures but there are focus issues and some post production issues that are contributing to your frustration. You have some great images but there are issues. I also think you need more images of your weddings. What you have is good but for someone who opens with a whole page of key words and locations, there is not enough work there to represent this.<br>

BERLIN PARIS ZURICH LONDON ROME BUDAPEST NEW YORK MIAMI CHICAGO SAN FRANSISCO (Francisco) Where's all the weddings from these places?<br>

EUROPEN PRECISION AMERICAN STYLE - European! Hardly precision! :)<br>

Sorry for the font change. I cut and pasted from your site.</p>

<p>Find a good web designer and make sure it is proofread over and over. You could represent yourself better. You do have a really nice eye for composition so you need to enforce that with good production. I hope you won't think I am being too harsh. I hope the suggestions give you some good thoughts for moving forward.<br>

Lou<br>

<br /> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<p>I'm probably a little late with my response but I thought I'd share my own experience.</p>

<p>Hey Otto, I'm a wedding photographer as well and I made the switch. </p>

<p>My old set:<br />1Ds Mark II<br />1D Mark II<br />50D<br />50 1.8<br />85 1.2L<br />16-35 2.8L<br />24-70 2.8L<br />70-200 2.8L IS</p>

<p>And I switched to:<br />D3<br />D700<br />D300S<br />50 1.4G<br />14-24 2.8G<br />35-70 2.8D<br />70-200 2.8G VR</p>

<p>Years ago, I chose Canon over Nikon simply because it felt more comfortable in my hands (Rebel Ti vs. F60).</p>

<p>I'll always be a Canon fan... but why did I switch? Well, I didn't switch because of the potential increase in sharpness and/or image quality. Quite frankly, I haven't even had the chance to compare yet. I'm still waiting for my 14-24 order.</p>

<p>The reason for my change was mainly the user interface and Auto ISO. Being a wedding photographer always switching among three cameras, I value having almost identical layouts among the D3, D700, and D300S. I won't have to change my mindset between cameras but with my previous Canon set, I did because of that 50D. </p>

<p>I also liked the fact that Nikon had a button for almost everything which made for quicker adjustments (vs. holding multiple buttons down and rotating a wheel on the Canon 1 series, using two hands at once). </p>

<p>Auto ISO was a big seller as well. I'm sure you're well aware of how light can change frequently during a wedding shoot. Nikon's Auto ISO feature is pretty intuitive. You set you slowest shutter speed you're willing to handhold and the camera will adjust the ISO to help keep it there or faster, up to the max ISo you set.</p>

<p>Although I've not yet checked myself, I've read enough and seen enough images from both systems to trust that both will produce quality images that our customers will love. More often than not, we, the photographer, have a much more critical eye than our client.</p>

<p>By the way, saw your site, great stuff! :)</p>

<p>Oh, and would you believe that after my switch, I actually made money? ^_^ I'm a very good shopper/seller though. :p</p>

<p>Good luck!</p><div>00VD0V-199081784.thumb.jpg.685a6e6acbe3347036acc25540cc0eb1.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>f.j. sarmiento typed:<br>

You set you slowest shutter speed you're willing to handhold and the camera will adjust the ISO to help keep it there or faster, up to the max ISo you set.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>F.J., you've highlighted one of the major advantages of evolving dSLR technology; the ability to not only change ISO instantly but to be able to know that you'll get a useable image.</p>

<p>Not too long ago, anything above ISO 400 was troublesome. Now . . . wow!</p>

<p>BTW, your site is very very well done. Small note -- on my monitor your opening shot (flower on cake) seems unsharp. I understand the story-telling and graphic appeal but I bet you have similar images that are stronger. FWIW.</p>

<p>Hey, thanks for the feedback, Scott! I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out! Something about that shot led me to pick it out for the first image you see when you click on my site. You're right, it could be sharper, or maybe it was because of the really shallow DOF. In any case, I will be updating the image set later this month when things die down a bit. :)<br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />You got a site I can check out?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>F.J. asked:<br>

You got a site I can check out?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Embarrassingly, no. My wife developed a chronic illness just about the time I was beginning the transition to digital so I stopped shooting (part-time) professionally. She's doing better now so I'm exploring ways to get back into a business that has changed radically since I was involved.</p>

<p>Hahaha, well, I've actually sold everything except for an EOS 3 film body and some Macro FD stuff. And as for Nikon, I'm pretty set already too. Thanks though! Maybe I can convince him to switch back to film AND use adapters for the FD, haha!<br /><br />I do hope you'll get back into the "swing of things" and post. Always interested in seeing other people's work. </p>