Pet photography business

<p>I am aware there have been previous questions on this, however none really applied to me...<br>

I am quite young still (21) and in the UK, I live in a very small quiet village type area. I would like to know how to set up a small pet photography business, location based, as I do not have a studio - so it would be at their house or outdoors, I have the equipment and such ready & have shot animals before - all I really need advice on is the business side of it. I know where I will advertise and how etc, I'm just a bit confused with the official side of it/finances etc. I assume I'd also need to work out how much it'd cost me to get prints made up, as well as cards and stuff (for Christmas etc) and perhaps mounted, and other such things... then reflect that in pricing. How does all this relate to taxes and stuff like that too? Are you allowed to do cash in hand since it's not a constant income?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not sure how taxes are handled in the UK, but here in the US you do not have to report your payments as income until you have earned a total of $500. At that point you have to start reporting it as part of your income. I would recommend talking to whoever prepares your taxes and find out what your requirements are. Over here you can go to places like H&R Block and get all sorts of free information regarding small business. Everything from charts and bookkeeping sheets to rules on what needs to be payed tax-wise. I am only 23 and have just started learning about small business as well. I'm finding out that there is a little to learn, but it's certainly not rocket science. As long as you keep good documents of your spending and income, you should be in good shape.</p>

<p>Howdy Beth!</p>

<p>Like you, I am getting ready to throw my hat into the ring as a 'professional' photographer. Calling myself a 'professional' gives me a chuckle - (I'll believe it when I earn more than I spend on my hobby!) Anyway, for 20 years I have dabbled in a few small enterprises on occasion here and there. From this experience I will share how I am approaching my soon-to-be photography "Business". I am marketing my skills to businesses which means, like you, I'll need to travel to a location for most of my projects.</p>

<p>First thing is to spend as little as is practical until the income will justify the expenditure. For me this means to take my hobby up to the next level, I will work with what I have and add to my equipment list only as often as I turn a profit. My advertising will be limited to a web page and a cheap local newspaper advertisement. So far the cost of sending an email is practically free so I will use this tool to target specific entities.</p>

<p>Like you, I do not have a dedicated studio. For small products I have a little photo-tent and lighting which I set up in the basement as needed. All other photography is to be done on sight, which means I must travel. I am in the process of working out the cost of traveling and what my fees will be. The government pays a flat rate per mile for travel, so this will most likely be my fee as well - its pretty standard. My fees structure I am modeling after various contractors which I have hired over the years. When I hire out a big job and the contractor thanks me by waving a standard 'show up' or 'travel' fee this makes me feel like I am getting a little something extra. I will keep this in mind as I write up a bill of sale with my clients. The actual service charge will be dependent upon many factors and suited to the client.</p>

<p>I have the ability to print my own photo-quality prints. However, I only use this tool to help me compose the finished product. These prints are fine for post cards or medium to smaller size applications. When I get into letter size prints this starts to get a little to expensive to be practical. My favorite technique goes like this. I start by color calibrating my monitors and printer. I email a sample image to my local print shop and request a color proof. When this is ready I get a email letting me know. I drop by when I am in town to inspect the print and usually the color proof is spot-on! Then I place my order for a series of prints. I plan to use this print shop for all my professional hard copy. It is sooo much simpler to just let a printing "Professional" print my photos than it is for me to diddle over the computer & printer for a couple hours for similar results. I like to print my own proofs - But the finished product, especially large format, I leave for the real pros!</p>

<p>I have already spoken with my print shop about my plans to 'go-pro' and they are enthusiastic to be part of my success. I think you should find yourself a professional print shop that will enthusiastically support your business. Oh my - look at how much I drabbled on - it fills the screen! Sorry, I hope I helped...</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Here's a start-up idea for you - take some of your work in a folder and visit pet groomers, animal hospitals, pet stores and anyone else who has multiple clients. Suggest a pet portrait day where their clients schedule appointments throughout the day to get their pets portraits taken (you can allow them in the photos also). Schedule for three to four weeks out. The day before the shoot (or two days), call everyone on the schedule and remind them of their portrait time. Take your portable setup and a computer to the location and shoot away. I like to show them on the spot because it builds enthusiasm having others say oohhh... ahhh... and when you have them just order from an online gallery, they put it off. Take their orders and payments - get them printed - deliver back to the business (this is a sales point for them - they can deliver the prints which gets their customers in their business multiple times). Once you take the order and payment - give the customer a card with a web gallery address for additional orders, more print sizes and gifts, and to share with friends and family.<br>

Okay, this is a crash coarse - you can take it from here. Don't forget a duck call - it is one of the most important tools you will have to get those great expressions.<br>

Good Luck - David<br>

David Crockett Photography<br /><p><b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net Terms of Use.</b></p></p>