Pentax 67II wood grip with hot shoe for flash work

tung

<p>I recently bought a Pentax 67II, along with three lenses, an AE pentaprism and wood hot-shoe grip.</p>

<p>I'm confused about the wooden grip and what I would need to have flash capability.</p>

<p>Is there a wood grip with hot shoe that is specifically for the 67II for flash capability, and also a wood grip with hot shoe that is just for 67? I saw something about a cable, but I can't find any photos or anything that explains this.</p>

<p>My goal is to add a halfway decent flash setup for around $100-200 or so to the system.</p>

<p>Some others will have to give you a more specific answer, but I can help to clear up one thing for you. The wooden grip is NOT a hot shoe. It is nothing more than a MOUNT for a flash. There are no electronics to fire a flash when mounted on the handle. So to call it a HOT SHOE is incorrect. Yes, you must have a cable between the flash and the camera to fire the flash in sync with the camera. The camera will have a connection for the cable, and whatever flash used must also have a point in which to connect the cable. However, if I am not mistaken, you could also use any flash if you mounted a device such as the Wein Safe Sync between the flash and the mount on the handle. The Wein unit has a connection point where the cable can connect to, and thus fire the flash with the camera. There are flashes though, such as the Vivitar 285 HV that have a built in connection socket for a cable so you would not have to use some type of intermediate connection device between the flash and the mount. Also, be aware, the Pentax 67 has a PAINFULLY SLOW max sync speed of 1/30, which makes it almost impossible to use outdoors with fill flash. Even indoors, there is the possibility of ghosting if your subjects are fast moving. The camera is quite simply not truly designed to work well with a flash. Hope that helps clear things up some for you.</p>

<p>Steve: The Pentax 67II manual calls it a "hot shoe grip 67 II". So it's really a cold shoe? Or maybe a not-so-hot shoe? :-P</p>

<p>I'm aware of the sync speed issue. I just want to give it a shot and see how it goes.</p>

<p>Tung, you are correct: there are two wooden grips: the wood grip for the old Pentax 6x7/67 camera and the Hot shoe grip 67II for the Pentax 67II. Either can be used to add flash capability to your 67II camera. The older wood grip has a cold shoe that allows a flash to be mounted, but the flash needs to have a sync cord that connects to the PC outlet on the camera. The newer Hot shoe grip 67II contains a hotshoe that allows various Pentax flashes to be fired without a PC cord, and in this setup the flash also automatically sets the shutter speed to 1/30th and provides a flash indication in the viewfinder. It does, however, use a short cord (supplied, I understand) that connects the hotshoe to the cameras's 5P sync terminal. So you need to establish which grip came with your 67II outfit. Pentax's picture of a flash mounted on the Hot shoe grip 67II, complete with the cord, is reproduced on the following page under the heading "Myths and Truths": <a href="http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?AsahiPentax67.html~mainFrame">http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?AsahiPentax67.html~mainFrame</a></p>

• 3 years later...
<p>I sold my complette p67II outfit last year, but I found a 5p syncron cord in the original factory plastic pouch. It was unused since my grip was so cold and I bought it by mistake. If someone interested, mail me. agostone71 at yahoo.com</p>