50D or 5D- please give me your advice

lee_f

<p>Hi all,<br>

I'm about to invest in a second camera, my current is a Rebel xsi and would serve as a backup. I primarily shoot newborns and engagement sessions and am slowly venturing into weddings. Currently I have a 50mm 1.8, a 70-200mm that I don't use too much, and the kit 18-55mm lens. I also have an Canon 430EX flash. <br>

A friend is selling her 50D (body only) for $900, so I could buy that, or I could go with a Mark 5D 1, I've also heard good things about that camera. The Mark ii is too rich for my blood, it's not an option for me. I'd also like to invest in more lenses. Any advice is much appreciated!</p>

<p>Go for the 5D, unless you don't want to go full frame. You can probably get a 5D with grip for couple hundred more than a 50D. I own the 50D and am constantly thinking of switching to FF.The only thing holding me back is that I'd lose some money on that. 1ds MkII prices are dropping right now too: in my area they are about 500 for than a 5D, then again that's the price of a lens...</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I have both the 50d and the 5d but I use them for different things. I do not have the 18-55mm lens.<br>

For what you say you are going to be using it for, I would choose the 5d.<br>

For weddings you don't have the range in lenses you might end up needing since the 18-55 is for a crop body camera like your xsi NOT the 5d full frame.<br>

My 2 cents would be (for weddings) in case you get in tight places are the following.<br>

17-40 F4 for regular light OR 16-35 f/2.8 for low light<br>

24-105 F4 for regular light OR 24-70 f/2.8 for low light<br>

and the 70-200 you already have but don't say if it is an F4 or 2.8.<br>

There are a lot of posts in forums across the net about the low light capabilities of the 50d. I would hesitate on choosing it for the type shooting you are talking about.<br>

Plus some churches / venues do not want flashes used during the wedding.<br>

My 2 cents.<br>

Best Wishes</p>

<p>Wow, this is all so helpful so far. Yes, my biggest concern is which camera will fair better in low-light situations, such as churches and receptions. I brought my xsi and 430EX to take some extra wedding photos for a friend and really struggled with the lighting at reception and there was a lot of noise in some of my photos. I don't really care about the kit lens-I actually got sand on it recently and need to have it worked on, so not being able to use it isn't a problem to me. My friend thinks I should buy her 50D (she has two and is getting the 7D, shoots alot of landscapes and flowers but also weddings) because of the newer sensor technology, faster camera, bigger pictures and, most importantly--ALL of my lenses will work with it. She's very convincing, which is why I'm struggling with this decision. I don't want to upgrade in a year, I plan to use this camera for hopefully 2-3 years. </p>

<p>The 50D is a good camera but you will do much better in low light with the 5D. The only lens you have that will not work is your 18-55 which is not an expensive lens anyway. Yes the 50D is newer but keep in mind full frame has advantages too, wider field of view, less noise, better background blur etc.</p>

<p>FWIW, B&H sells the 50D new for $984. So you'd get the full warranty and free shipping.<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=50D+canon&N=0&InitialSearch=yes">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=50D+canon&N=0&InitialSearch=yes</a><br>

If you did decide to go with the 50D, you might want to spend $1152 and get the kit with the 28-135 IS so if and when you switch to full frame you have a walk around lens that will work on the full frame.<br>

That being said, I basically support everything set forth above. If low light/high ISO is you main concern, get the 5D, mk1. I had both the 50D and the 5D for some low light dance recitals in June. I was much more satisfied with the results of the 5D. In addition, in processing the RAW images in Photoshop Elements it was much easier to get a clean, smooth image with the correct colors/hue etc. with the 5D images. Yours and others' MMV. </p>

<p>For the uses you have mentioned, the 5d would be the better choice. I use a 5d and 40d for weddings. If I could only use one, it would be the 5d. You will appreciate the view finder in the 5d.</p>

<p>I did have a 50d as well, but there wasn't enough difference between the 40d and 50d to keep them both and they are both excellent bodies. I put them both on CL and kept the one that didn't sell first. Besides I figured the 50d would start loosing its value fast, now that the 7d is out.<br>

As I said, the 40d and 50 are both excellent bodies, however, it you decide not to get the 5d, you might want to look into a used 40d and put the extra money toward a 17-40L or 16-34L. Just saying.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you don't want to spend the extra money on a 5D (used - about $1100-$1200 or refurbished at Adorama for $1799) and are leaning toward the 50D, I'd suggest you throw the T1i in the mix as well - particularly if you like your XSi's size, controls, menu system and don't need the fps offered by the 50D. The T1i and the 50D share the same sensor. The T1i (body only) is down to $650 new at Adorama and B&H without the lens (which, of course you already have).<br>

For what you do, I think the T1i is a much closer match for the 50D than the 50D is to the 5D. Plus, the T1i does video and you might find that useful or fun or both.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>50D is a good camera but you will do much better in low light with the 5D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mind you, the 5D is very good at low light, but the 50D is a newer generation of low-light capability, so I wouldn't be too sure that the 50D isn't the better choice for its top ISO of 12800 (noisy, but still very useful) as compared to a measly (!) 3200 on the 5D. Of course the 5D mk ii goes still higher than the 50D.</p>

<p>I also have them both. Were I in your shoes knowing what I know now, I'd be on the fence, because there are some benefits to each. I especially like the high-speed performance of the 50D, if you need to hold the shutter button down and fire a sequence it outshines the 5D.<br>

But the pixel-peeping beauty of the 5D is hard to beat. It is a fine camera.<br>

Note that EF-S lenses are incompatible with the 5D (or other Canon FF cameras).</p>

<p>I would go for the 5D. I have the 40D and 5D and the 5D has lower noise and less depth of field. If you are seriously getting into wedding photography you wont want to use a kit lens anyway unless you want darker backgrounds and most things in focus. Lots of pros have stood by the 5D for years and it will always be a hall of fame camera.</p>

<p>I have a 40D and a 5d. I would grab the 5D over my 40D and day of the week! I can also tell you that if you go with the 5D, you will use your 70-200 all the time. The 70-200 plus the full frame is pure magic. The ONLY thing I miss is the AF speed of the newer cameras. BTW, I think the price for a used 50D is to high. Get the 5D and you will shoot cleaner shot than your friend. Also show her how your files can match even her 7D. v/r Buffdr</p>

<p>I have a 40D and a 5d. I would grab the 5D over my 40D and day of the week! I can also tell you that if you go with the 5D, you will use your 70-200 all the time. The 70-200 plus the full frame is pure magic. The ONLY thing I miss is the AF speed of the newer cameras. BTW, I think the price for a used 50D is to high. Get the 5D and you will shoot cleaner shot than your friend. Also show her how your files can match even her 7D. v/r Buffdr</p>

<p>Go the 5D.<br>

I have an Xsi and a 5D and the two complement each other very well. Having a FF and APS-C camera is a useful combination. I use the Xsi when I want to go light or take advantage of the 1.6 crop, and use the 5D for when I want the full frame viewfinder, IQ or to use with FF lenses such as a fisheyes and wideangles.</p>

<p>I have two Canon EOS 5D bodies and can recommend them 100%. Don't touch the EOS 50D, I have seen images that my friend who is a Professional Photographer has taken with them. This is one of Canon's weakest offerings and plays to the market who think that more Megapixesls means better quality. It generates strange artifacts and does not have an IQ as good as the older EOS 40D which was an excellent camera for the money. In the UK you can buy pristine 5D's with only 5000 frames on them from Canon Dealerships for £800 (the bargin of the decade). They have been traded in against the 5D Mk.II probably in the belief as far as the new owners are concerned, that they will get better pictures. If only that were the case. People take pictures not cameras! If you cannot take decent images with the 5D Mk.1 then you will really struggle with a Mk.2 as it is very unforgiving of lens quality and technique. Spend you money on high quality L Series Canon glass or Zeiss with the 5D. If you can't then get decent images, it is you, not the equipment. Finally, the only potential negative with the EOS 5D is that the Rear Display is very small and pokey by todays standards. It is not a problem for me as I shoot bracketed frames and would never dream of deleting images in the field based on what I see on the back of a camera. CF Cards are cheap, buy decent size cards and look at you images when you get home with a quality Browser such as BreezeBrowser using the magnifiying tool. If the frame is then not sharp where it is supposed to be, delete it. Regards Stephen</p>

<p>I don't own a 50D but have examined images carefully on the Imaging Resource site between the 50D and other current Canon cameras including the 5DMKII and 7D and see virtually no differences at low and high ISO. Most problems dealing with sharpness and other IQ issues are typically a result of the photographer and not the camera.</p>

<p>My choice and recommendation would be the 5D if you had issues with sport or wildlife you might want to think about the 50D but other wise its a clear choice for me. The 70-200 will come more in its own with the full format and the 50mm will be a normal lens you will have to think about a normal zoom if you want one. The efs lenses are not lost they will stay on your xti. You will not regret it. I have and use a 5D since three years and will carry on using it for long. I also have a 30D.</p>

<p>Like everyone else has said, go with the 5d. You will almost get a new lens with your 70-200 which currently is unusable for most things because on a crop sensor camera like a 50D it is a 112-320mm lens. I love the fact i can now shoot with my 70-200 indoors on my 5d2. On a full frame camera I can also get full body shots using 24-70 or huge group shots with my 17-40 when I am standing only 3 -4 feet away. With my Canon 30D I couldn't use either my 85 1.2 or 70-200 indoors because i had to be so far away to compose a nice picture. Also, the low light capabilities ar so good, I haven't even used my flash at all on my 5D. I have now almost totally converted to a natural light photographer. I like the look so much better than all those dark shadows I used to have behind all my Canon 30D / 580EX photos.<br>

Can you tell I how much I absolutely love full frame?</p>