AFS lens on film camera

michael_walter1

<p>I have a Nikon N80 file camera (and a Nikon D80). I put the 55-200mm VR AFS lens on it. I had a couple rolls of film developed, by a local camera shop (not a 1 hour place). Most of the pictures, in the upper left and upper right corners, have the corners 'cut off'. It is like a shadow. At first I thought that maybe I was seeing the lens hood. Then, I thought that maybe there is an issue with using a "digital" lens on a film camera. Could it be that the lens does not expose the whole area of the film?<br>

I don't have any of the pictures on my computer yet, so I can't post one. Maybe tonight?</p><div>00UvW9-187109584.thumb.jpg.d5b2fa0bfc4f460668fe2a029329e06b.jpg</div>

<p>Michael, it is not film lens against digital lens.... All film lenses work excellent as digital too.<br>

The problem is with most DSLRs using a sensor being smaller, as Sheldon said. Nikon refers this to as the "DX format", and lenses with <em>DX</em> in its name are designed to only cover this smaller frame. Lenses without the DX mentioned somewhere in the name will cover a full 35mm frame. Most lenses are *not* DX lenses!</p>

<p>The 55-200VR is a DX lens, but for example the relatively new 70-300VR is not. So that lens would work fine on both your bodies.</p>

<p>That effect actually isn't that bad! I get the same effect sometimes when I stack 2 filters, or with any filter on certain wide lenses.</p>

<p>This really has nothing to do with AF-S. That only means the focus motor is in the lens. VR means the lens has a "Vibration Reduction" system inside. DX is what means that the image circle won't cover your 35mm film. See others' comments above for more info.</p>

<p>I shoot a DX lens on a film camera sometimes. It's great when you want a vignette effect :)</p>

<p>I know, that sounds crazy, but think about it - if you can use the vignette effect to your advantage, or you want to crop , it's a good sharp AF-S VR lens you already paid for.</p>

<p>You have all confirmed my suspicions. I thank you for your time. I will finish out the current roll with the "nifty 50" and see how that goes. I have an old 70-300 on a different film camera. It doesn't have a lens cap on it so I'm a bit leary. On a positive note, non DX lenses are getting cheaper. :-)</p>