sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO DG HSM w/ 1D mkii anyone?

mathew_gardella

<p>has anyone used this combo.. i am looking at this lens as an alternative to the canon for sports/ occasional wedding work... i am having trouble locating this lens. instead i find the mkII version in my searches.... has anyone used this version and if so, what do you think? also, what is the difference btwn this one and the II version? is it worth the extra $200 for the new model? thanks. (i am shooting with 1D mk ii and 40D at this time.)</p>

<p>I don't have a 1D, but I just want to "raise a red flag". I too was in the same situation, and noticed that that lens had a severe front-focusing problem with my 40D when in AF mode. Otherwise, I would have kept it. The lens is a great deal, but I would suggest that you check its AF accuracy on your specific cameras before purchasing.</p>

<p>I've been shooting with the sigma 70-200 2.8 mkI version for about 8 years. It's actually a pretty decent lens for the $$. I haven't had any specific focus problems with any of my camera bodies (10D, 40D, 5D) unless it was the camera itself that was in need of repairs. It's not terribly sharp, the AF doesn't compete with the Canon version, and the contrast is so-so at best... but I would rate all of these as average to above average. I've just been spoiled lately by amazing canon primes like the 135 f/2 which is incredible. Unless I need a zoom or the extra range, I usually pull out the 135 and leave the sigma 70-200 at home. I have shot a ton of tricky sports and wedding situations with it though (night high school football and dark dark churches for weddings) and it really does a pretty decent job even in these extremes.</p>