Mamiya RB67 too big for handheld?

patrick_mont

<p>Have handheld mine many times. I would use a left hand grip on any MF camera. Always find it funny when someone asks if a camera such as the RB is too big to handheld. When I've seen photos taken about 80-100 years ago of people, women included, holding much larger cameras. They did the best they could with what they had.</p>

<p>I have had my RZ since Sept I am only 5'1" I have no problem hand holding RZ.<br>

I have done street shooting wandering around for hours. I havent made any big blow-ups yet but looking at my negs with 8x loupe I don't see any terrible effects of camera shake.<br>

Granted Im a bit of hard a$$ and a little weight doesnt put me off as it seems to do others.<br>

I do lots of big tele work so Im used to carrying around bigger rigs than the RZ.<br>

With the 110mm or smaller lens and OP tech neck strap I can walk around many miles no worries.</p>

<p>I have shot with both RZ, RB and now I'm shooting with my Pentax 67 Hand held. I don't know about most of you guys but I can shoot it all the way at 1/15 hand held and get some very sharp images. What work for me may not work for you. I like that my Pentax is heavy, this help keep it steady. And if you think its to heavy for you then you should work out a little more...</p>

It's a noticeable difference from the 645 to the 67. The 67 is about the size of a mailbox. I've used a 645e for some time

as well, and what used to feel like kind of a heavy camera now feels like its not even there.

The upside with the 645 (since you mentioned $$$) is that you'll get 15 frames per roll rather than 10. It's a good balance

of MF quality and ergonomics, not to mention it's less expensive to own/use, especially if you don't have a digi to practice

on.

<p>Here's a side by side, that shows the various bulk difference.<br>

Now, it's a bit unfair ... remove the prism finder from the RB67 and use a WLF, and get rid of the compendium lens shade and the 'bulk' shrinks.<br>

But beyond that, there you have it sports fans.<br>

jim</p><div>00Uvw6-187353584.jpg.527eb3d591556c827eac8fcc11ea495e.jpg</div>

<p>I always been using the RB67 hand held and some times for long hours, I have number of film backs to go with it so I I do not need to upload films while working out door, I also use the RZ67 and it is also can be hand held.<br>

Of course, if you intend to go very critical shooting, the tripod is a must and not just for this format cameras but also for the 35MM camera.</p>

<p>Never used mine hand-held. Always on a tripod with a cable release. Why take all the fun out of it by hand-holding? Having read the varous posts, though, it might be interesting to try a hand-held roll. Time to get the grip out. No harm done is there?</p>

<p>Cheers, Bob</p>