Kiron 2X Matchmate Compatibility with Zoom

<p>The 1980 Kiron info sheet for their 2X Matchmate dedicated teleconverter mentions their 80-200mm/4.0 zoom lens but not their more compact 80-200mm/4.5 lens. The Kiron info sheet for the f/4.5 lens is dated 1982, which would explain the omission; the smaller lens didn't exist when the Matchmate was released. Both lenses focus and zoom with a single ring. Anyway, have any of you tried this f/4.5 lens combined with the 2X Matchmate? I have no problem mounting the lens on the converter and focusing to infinity, so they appear compatible. Thanks!</p>

<p>Bob,<br>

Kino Optical (Kiron) was one of the best third party lens makers. They made lenses under their name and also rebadged them for Vivitar and many were Vivitars Series1 lenses. As to if your combo works or not? I'd say there is a good chance it will work perfectly. Heck, since you seem to have the convertor and the lens why don't you try it and let us know what you think. JohnW</p>

<p>How well a lens will work with a particular teleconverter can only be determined by trying them together. What you want to be careful about is how the two fit together nechanically. Make sure the rear element of the lens does not go back so far that it hits the front element of the teleconverter. This can sometimes happen with the lens at infinity or even before that.</p>

<p>I think physical incompatibilty issues usually only arise with dedicated converters for high end teles like special APO lenses. THe match mate is likely optimized for the specific lens mentioned. Vivitar also marketed a few like that. If you have several 2X converters of various brands you can even test them to see which performs best with your zoom. Kiron (and also Vivitar) had a sound idea (at least on paper). What really hurt was that most people reallly didn't want to give up 2 stops of light. I tested a 70-150 f4 Kiron with a 2X (don't remember if it was a Matchmate) and it was one of the better combos. But, my old Tamron Adaptall 70-150 f3.5 with a Kalt 2X convertor was also good. Bottom line: use what you have, try other if you got 'em, mix and match, etc.</p>