Making multiple files for one image

<p>This is a very beginner question, so I appreciate any help. I've looked for tutorials but none seem to properly address my issue:</p>

<p>I take photos, RAW, download to Folder.</p>

<p>I process RAW in PS, spend hours getting it right etc and ideally I'd like the option to tweak it in future, as I improve in Post technique etc. I also want a large format JPeg(?) and ALSO a smaller version which I can quickly attach to emails to send to my friends and family...</p>

<p>Is this a common thing? Where do I put all these files? Separate folders? What if I want to locate the .psd file associated with any given Jpeg easily? Is there a standard work flow that people use to ensure they have all this done?</p>

<p>I have realised that I now have hundreds Jpegs of only 800x535 pix which is no use if I want to print big. I still have the RAW formats but in order to get a bigger file I have to go and process all over again! I'm an idiot.</p>

<p>Any suggestions much appreciated<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>Get Lightroom, it will manage all these things for you. It saves the RAW file, the edits that you've made on the RAW file, and any additional files that you create such as a Layered PSD file all in the lightroom database. If you want to export a small version for web size, then you can export a downressed version from the larger layered tiff, without having to go back and reedit or resize the original layered file.</p>

<p>Very handy for both managing and organizing things like this.</p>

<p>Use the Photoshop you have. What you want to do is create a folder for your large jpgs, a folder for your small jpgs, name them what you want and create an action so it does the work for you.<br>

Here's a sample from a while back. It will get you thinking, if you need more help contact me off line an let me know which ps you are using. You can create as many files or name them as you like.</p>

<p >How to save two different images</p>

<p >Save one as original tiff and one as jpeg</p>

<p >Open all images you would like to apply this action </p>

<p >Create action</p>

<p >adjust image size, levels, unsharpened, save as tiff to folder A</p>

<p >History open</p>

<p >Resize to 72dpi, about 700 pixels on the long</p>

<p >Save as jpeg 5 medium to folder B</p>

<p >Close</p>

<p >Stop action</p>

<p >Now you have two different images, types, in two locations, one for print, one for web.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Batch, now go to batch and apply the action you have created to all open files.</p>

<p >Go have a coffee and come back and it's done.</p>

<p>Personally I keep all RAW files, like you say, abilities improve over time, you learn features of PS that you never even knew were there, so can make much better images from them.<br /> BUT, I get very critical of my work. Though I hate to delete images of my Children, grandchildren, and four great grandchildren, so keep more of them than other shots.<br /> However when I shoot bracketed shots, delete all but the best. When I shoot 100-300 shots of a scene like a motorcycle race, delete all but the best 10-20%, including RAW for Ive found that in general will never use them all.<br /> Then, I make good TIFs for my website and using Lightroom with a plugin 25 meg images of all of them go from Lightroom to the website, while I watch TV... (Zenfolio.com) Then, from there can send those I choose to facebook for relatives to see. Most of my 167+ relatives love pictures and so many download them.<br /> Then, I burn a DVD with all the RAW images from lightroom & the catalog which holds mods that I made too them, so if Im ever going to redo one, that can be my starting point. Label the DVD with subject matter and date. Then I remove all but the very BEST I like from the computer to run in my screen saver or to burn in a slideshow. <br /> Having at least 40-50% empty space on the computer means it runs faster.<br /> Which reminds me, every time I get a new computer, I remove all the junk files they come with. There is a free program which makes it really easy.<br /> http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download<br /> Then I run CCleaner another free program that cleans out the registry.<br /> You would be surprised how much faster XP or Vista and Windows 7 will run after doing this.<br>

You discover what it means to have a computer run as fast as it was designed to run.</p>