Nikon D5000 vs. Canon EOS 450D

ric_hunter

<p>Hi guys!</p>

<p>Do you have any idea how does a Nikon D5000 compared to a Canon EOS 450D? Particualrly in the following areas:<br>

a.) image quality<br>

b.) shutter lag performance<br>

c.) low light and night conditions<br>

d.) over all performance</p>

<p>I was pretty convinced already with Nikon D5000 and will be buying it this December 'till I saw this Canon EOS 450D. By the way, is it an entry level DSLR (Canon EOS 450D?</p>

<p>Thanks guys! I will really appreciate your response.</p>

<p>These are both "consumer grade" models meaning they don't have the robust, multiple reinforced bodies of higher end models and they lack some shooting features that pros demand but their simpler interfaces and smaller sizes and price tags plus great iage quality capabilities make them ideal for consumers. They're not "entry level" in the sense of being the cheapest from each company, but they're targeted at beginner to intermediate users, and customers who want a camera that's inexpensive or more portable than other DSLRs. (Don't let that discourage you. I read an article a while back from a well known pro who had been caught without his pro equipment while on a trip to Italy and bought a consumer grade DSLR, and was so impressed with its capabilities to weight ratio he's going to use it as his travel camera from now on.)</p>

<p>From the DXOMark tests (Google it) and various reviews the D5000 has the technical edge (understandable - it's more than a year newer) but the difference is pretty small. It's not enough difference to base a decision on. More important are:<br>

-Which company makes the lenses you most want?<br>

-Which camera has the "feel" and button layout you prefer?</p>

<p>You can probably get straight on reviews from dpreview, and they also have this nifty comparison chart, if you just want to check out body vs body. I'm with Andrew on the feel of the body, get them in your hands, see which fits better. I don't like the handling of C, and I have friends that don't like the handling of N :) Another factor is people who own canon or nikon around you, it's fun to experiment with loaned lenses and stuff.</p>

<p>Alvin</p>