Canon 40D Shutter speed reset in M mode

catalin_stanciulescu

<p>Hello, is there an option to reset shutter speed to 0 in M mode for Canon 40D?I had a Pentax K10 with a green button and if my shutterspeed was way out of correct exposure i could press it and the sutter speed is back to "proper exposure", i mean 0.From there i can fine tune the exposure.On my 40D i have to roll the wheel all the way to proper exposure.Any ideea?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I havent make myfelf clear.Example:<br /> Manual mode: ISO400, f2.8, 1/10, metering mode spot, indoors.I m going outside and keeping M mode, ISO and f, but want to quick change shutter speed to get another frame so i have to spin the wheel all the way from 1/10 to 1/1000.There are about 20 clicks.Ia there any way to press a button and set the shutter speed to proper exposure without spinning the wheel?<br /> On Pentax i had a green button that temporary changes to Av so the aperture remains the same but the shutter speed goes to 0 (camera mettering exposure) and after release the green button going to M mode but with the new shutter speed settings so all i have to do is just fine tunning the exposure not spinning the wheel like crazy.</p>

There is no such 'button' on the 40D or any similar Canon EOS body!<br><br>...but it does have the AV (Aperture priority )mode..and the TV (shutter priority) to choose your shutter speed ...but you will still have to twirl a wheel or two ~ either the wheel on the top dial, or the Control wheel at the back of the camera.

<p>On my 5D, I could change all the metering/exposure to use half stops instead of third stops. That would make it 14 clicks instead of 20.</p>

<p>Beyond that, I can't think of any simple solution if you want to stay in manual the whole time. It's a pretty unusual problem, and I don't think Canon anticipated it.</p>

<p>[[i don't know how P mode operates :).]]</p>

<p>I'm not sure how this is relevant. All you want is a better starting point for when you spot meter and you wan to get there with fewer wheel clicks. Switching to Tv or P would get you that.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't know the 40D, but does it have Custom exposure modes? If so you could set one for an average outdoor exposure. Then when you go outside, all you have to do is turn the mode dial. Again, I don't know the 40D, but I believe my wife's G3 has that feature. I may be totally off base. It would be a handy feature. Canon, are you listening?</p>

<p>I have been seeking the exact same thing, I thought I was alone in my quest! One problem though, how would the camera know which value you wanted to change (20 clicks of shutter speed or aperture) ?</p>

<p>Incidentally, I was playing around with the Canon G10 at a store and its M mode does have this feature. Set one parameter (shutter or aperture) and then press the exposure lock button and the camera sets the other parameter for normal exposure, still retaining the ability to override it to your desired value. I wish my 5DII worked this way.</p>

<p>I had a Pentax K10d and there was a green button on the back of the body right where you have the 3 buttons on 40D.You can set that button with at least 2 functions: going Tv and Av when you press it but only for a fraction of a second.Practicaly if you set it for Av the apperture remains the same you have set in M and only the shutter speed is changing related to the mettering mode you use.You still remain in M mode.So you can put your metering point where you want to measure and press that button and you get the shutter speed as the meter is measure.<br /> You can do something similar on canon but you're stuck in Av or Tv using exposure lock.<br /> This was a wonderful feature for me working M/spot., the only thing i had to do is finding a neutral point and press the green button.The apperture remains the same (or shutter speed , depending of the setting you use - Av or Tv) and the shutter speed goes to proper exposure, and you're still shutting M.<br /> I am still in love with that Pentax body and if it didn't had AF serious issues i would still be a Pentax user.</p>