2 Unrelated Questions - Bags & Lenses

roger_li1

Two unrelated questions - appreciate your replies!

1) I am admiring the Billingham Hadley bags (have read the

archives). Does anyone use this series with the lens (let say a

50/2 or 35) actually attached to an M-body? The internal width (as

stated on their website) is only 2 3/4"s. Seems like a tight fit.

2) I am keenly aware that a lens (Leica or otherwise) perfoms better

(in terms of sharpness) when not set to its maximum aperature. Does

this hold true for focusing distance too? That is, does a lens

perform better when not set to its minimum focusing distance?

Sorry for the random questions but these have been bugging me.

i have a hadley bag and you can fit not one but two m cameras

with lens attached,because the cameras face each other and not

to the front or the back af the camera,you just have to adjust the

interior of the bag to your preferences.you will not regret buying

this bag.

It depends what you m,ean by lens performance! Some lenses do perform better at close distances than others. Others perform better on distant subjects.

In theory a perfect lens in a perfect world would give the sharpest results wide open. That would require a lens with no abberations, which doesn't exist. Microscope objectives, which are both tiny and used at a single focus distance, often have apertures wider that f/1 although they don't use the term "f stop". They're plenty sharp, too!

I think most high speed (F/1.4 and faster) normal and wide angle objectives for 35mm are optimized for fairly close distances because that's where people use them, say 4 to 20 feet. The 180mm f/2.8 Zeiss Sonnar is very sharp close up for portraits. The 7 inch (about 178mm) f/2.5 Kodak Aero Ektar was extremely sharp at infinity but slightly soft as a portrait lens. It was designed for low light arial photography at infinity. The average Leica lens will be more than sharp enough over it's focussing range!

1) There are 3 Hadley sizes. I have the "regular" and I use it for my R outfit (sometimes--I really don't like Billinghams because the straps can't be unclipped and replaced with Op-Tech SOS straps, and the Hadley in addition because the main compartment doesn't zip shut). My Hadley will take an R6.2 with even the 180/2.8, nose-down. M cameras practically get lost inside it, so don't give it another thought. The least problematic part of the Hadley is the room inside.

2) Unless lenses have manual or automatic FLE's, there are optical compromises vis a vis focus range, and when you're outisde the sweet spot you'll get better performance by stopping down at least 1-2 stops if not more.

Roger, I recently purchased a black Hadley Pro and it is spot on for a small M outfit. As already stated the bag takes 2 M bodies face to face (I have an M3 and an M4P with 35 and 50 F2 lenses) leaving room for a pair of binoculars and a light meter (L308B). The bodies are a snug fit - but just as you would want it IMO. The M6TTL bodies are slightly higher but I dont know whether that is a significant difference to rule the bag out.

I receommend the black on black finish - really nice.

Best regards

Dave

I seem to recall reading somewhere that lenses can be optimized for either infinity or the closer focusing ranges. If they are optimized for infinity, it is more difficult to get them to be real sharp at the closest focusing distances. That is why some lenses only focus down to 1 meter, rather than 27 inches. With modern offerings, this might have been overcome, since most lenses focus to 27 inches (with the M series). But here again, you'd have to be Erwin, have 20/20 eyesight and be peering through a 30x macroscope to see anything definitive!

Roger, the Billgham Hadley is the ultimate bag for the Leica M

and some lenses. I have my M6 with the Noct or 35 Lux ASPH

attached lying on it's back in the middle section of the bag. On

one side I can fit my Noct or 35 Lux ASPH, with the divider on top

with more room to put something elseon top of that. On the other

side, I have space for my Tele Elmarit on layby, with film as well.

The two front pockets are great for anything like a flash, wallet,

film, mobile phone, etc. The bag is silent to use with no velcro or

zips. It is comforatble to carry and very durable, no to mention,

waterproof-unlike Domke bags.

ALSO, you can take the whole insert out and use the bag for

something else, or put the insert into another shoulder bag. The

perfect bag in my opinion.

As for Leica lenses, most perform perfectly at all focusing

distances. I usually shoot wide open at close focusing distances

and have no trouble. Here is an image taken with the Noct at f/1

at around the closest focusing distance of 1m.<div>003hv2-9351284.jpg.8ab78db023e4cfede90cf7de9c5a7a4e.jpg</div>

I have the "small" Hadley and find it perfect for a RF kit. Body with 35 attached and dividers to hold two additional lenses. Film can be layered below lenses for transport. I like the bag a LOT.....just wish the strap had some rubber grommets to make it hold better on the shoulder. Thoughts on this grommet idea, anyone?

Billingham makes a thickly foam padded leather shoulder pad that can be attached to the shoulder strap with two studs. That keeps it from sliding off the shoulder and also makes it more comfy to carry for a long outing. Since the pad is easily removable, I also use it for my small Domke bag (F5XB?) whenever I know I need to carry it for a while.

I did not buy mine. It came with their Director laptop bag, and is the right size for the small Hadley. They come in two sizes. The 555 has a wider pad, and comes with it.

Its nice. I have the Pro. I keep M6TTL with 50mm or 35mm attached, 50 or 35mm and a 90mm Elmarit in one pocxket and the 135mm Tele-Elmar and 21mm VC in the other. Table top tripod and filters and meter and other stuff in the front and the pockets. I recommend it. The carrying handle is nice too. I had a Billingham for my R outfit and when it wore out replaced it with a Tenba - now I wish I had bought another Billingham. I find the lack of a zip a non-issue given the design of the flap. When attached nothing can fall out.

The bag is a tight-ish fit with the 50mm attached, but absolutely fine. I like the strap too but then I dislike all "gripping" straps finding them exceedingly uncomfortable.

Robin Smith