Adaptor Ring on C or Non-C Lenses - How can I tell?

neil_poulsen8

<p>I just bought an RB outfit including three bodies and five C or non-C lenses for an amazing price and am reading old threads to learn more about these cameras. I've never owned an RB, but have always been attracted by their design.<br>

My bodies include an RB Pro SD. How can I tell if the lenses have the adaptor rings that I read about in the archives? I've looked on the backs of the lenses, and I don't see anything that detaches. (At least that my inexperienced eye can detect.)</p>

<p>I'll add that the lenses appear to fit fine on the SD. If they have the adapter ring installed, will these lenses fit on older cameras. I ask, because one of my bodies is an RB-Pro, and the lenses fit it just fine.</p>

<p>How difficult are the adapter rings to find these days? If difficult, should I consider getting rid of my Pro-SD and Pro-S bodies and use the Pro body that I have?</p>

<p>The rings came with the newer KL lenses that allowed them to fit the larger mount throat on the SD. They're available for $15-20 online. The adapter rings simply slip over the tube surrounding the rear element on non-C, C, and KL lenses. It should be obvious if they're mounted on your lenses. They're unnecessary on the Pro and Pro S. Some people report using lenses on the SD without the ring; others think they're necessary.</p>

<p>See this response at the end ... in Mamiya's own words -<br>

<a href="../medium-format-photography-forum/00TBQi">http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00TBQi</a></p>

<p>I had copied and saved that from their (Mamiya's) site some time ago when I was researching buying a couple of bodies to support my addictive MF hobby :0)<br>

I bought some special o-rings from McMaster Carr that I use in place of the pricey OEM ones. From what I can see the function of the 'spacer' is merely to make mounting the lens easier on the larger throated SD body (think of it avoiding clanging around and a sloppy feel) plus as a more robust light leak baffling.<br>

I've tried shooting out in bright light with & without the ring on and have not personally seen one iota of difference for leaks.<br>

My background is in engineering and factory production, so I tend to be practical and try to get the cheapest but <em><strong>bestest</strong></em> solution. I'm sure some people will be now shaking their heads!<br>

So there you have it, keep both bodies. I have the ProS and SD and use them interchangeably. The Mamiya gods will shun you if you cast away one of their children.<br>

Jim</p>