Do you prefer "Taking", "Making", "Viewing", or simply "Having" photographs

bluphoto

<p>Which part of your art satisfies and excites you the most?<br>

Personally, I have two favourite parts to my photography - the preparation before a shoot, and working on the image after the shoot.<br>

The actual holding the camera part doesn't excite me so much - as such, I think my preference is for the "making" of the image, rather than the "taking" of the image.<br>

Similarly, once I'm satisfied with a partifcular image, I rarely view it again. It simply resides on a Backup DVD somewhere, and doesn't generally see much of the light of day.<br>

I very much enjoy viewing and appreciating the images of others - such as you guys at Photo.net.</p>

<p>rgds,<br>

Guy</p>

<p>It varies quite a bit. There are some shots I that I quite like that I didn't enjoy the experience of taking; there are plenty of shots that I enjoyed taking, but I'm underwhelmed by the result; there are some where I enjoy the reactions to the shot more than the shot itself. I think it depends a lot on a person's approach to and uses for photography.</p>

<p>For me, photography only enhances the experience of being in the field and experiencing the landscape. It focuses my attention, enables me to see things that many other non-photographers miss, provides a physical and technical challenge to capture the experience on film or sensor, preserves the experience, and allows me to share the experience with others. I want the experience to be real and not something that I created on a computer. The process is equally important as the result, and the memory of the experience is completely dependent on the process.</p>

<p>It all depends on <em>why</em> I'm doing the work. Something for my personal education or enjoyment has completely different layers to it than something that amounts to mercenary photographic services for someone else. When it's art for art's sake, I like the entire process. When it's event coverage or similar work? I especially like the part where the check clears the bank.<br /><br />Like Guy, I enjoy conceiving of something I want to try, and wrestling with what it's going to take - technically, logistically, creatively - to make it happen. I also like looking back at a successful piece that happened only because I took the time and effort to <em>be</em> someplace (or some<em>time</em>) that made it possible. It makes those before-sun-up long drives or cups of bad road coffee worth it.</p>

<p>Just to be awkward (!), I would say "experiencing" :-)<br>

And, taking an unhelpful step sideways, Ansel Adams questioned* the word "taking" (which he felt suggested a 'predatory attitude') and used "making" to cover the whole process from previsualisation though moment of exposure to final print. While I often differ from his opinions, I tend to agree with him on the second part of this one: making covers the whole process, not just a part of it.<br>

----<br>

(*Ansel Adams, "A personal credo" in the <em>American annual of photography</em> , Vol.58, p.16, 1944)</p>

<p>In order:<br>

1) Taking; many shots of people I shoot on the street I give them. I learn from shooting the <br>

shots.<br>

2) Viewing; the shots I take I do view, some I keep, some I do not. However I view them all<br>

so I learn from them.<br>

3) Making; I do view all of my shots in PhotoShop. I will at times enhance the photos.<br>

4) Having; I do keep many of my shots, good and bad.<br>

Thus: I take the shots to view, then to make then to have.</p>

<p>I don't see any negative connotations on the word "taking", as in taking a photo (compare "capturing the moment"). To me it refers to the action of clicking the shutter button rather than "extracting" an image from the scene. When reviewing photos at a later time, i think of them as images that i have created, of course with the helpful contribution of a person, an object, or mother nature.</p>

<p>Sometimes, and this is indeed very satisfying when i feel that i have achieved it, i think of a photograph as pointing to something (could be anything from a tiny detail to an emotion) that others wouldn't normally see. Revealing what was hiding in plain view, or recording the briefest moment in time.</p>

<p>Other times it is the end result of a creative process that i enjoy. Yet others, i might spontaneously try something in post processing and completely re-interpret a photo, creating something new. Then there is the excitement of using all my technical knowledge (not that much) to nail a hard shot exactly as i visualise it. There is also the simple pleasure of recording a nice smile from your friends or family.</p>

<p>I do enjoy looking at my favorite photos over the years; so far i haven't got tired of them. I fact i sometimes contemplate the irrational fear that plagues all kinds of artists - that i will never be able to create something better than my past best photos. Somehow though, this pool of "my past best photos" only grows with time :)</p>

<p>Yes, i enjoy lots of things about photography, and there are lots more out there to try out!</p>

<p>Have to agree with Clay. I do love going into the studio/kitchen, or out into the field to shoot. My favorite time though is mt time in my nasty dank basement dark room. Actually seeing the image come up in the developer, and making the decisions about how to print each neg is major therapy for me. I also enjoy sharing my work with others, and luckily I have very patient freinds who will give me honest answers.</p>

<p>Tasos: I don't see any negative connotations on the word "taking"...<br /> Personally, I agree with you. It's the second part that I focus on.</p>

<p>Guy: "...I wanted to separate out the part where the photographer is holding the camera from the other parts of the process."<br /> I understand that, and see the value of it ... but for myself (only), in answer to your question about our own approaches, I cannot separate the parts – they are, for me, one.<br /> The only bit I could separate out is the moment which you might call "recognition" – the moment when my mind registers "<em>yes!</em> " ... but that is, however infinitesimally, before what I would call "making".<br /> I have three parts:</p>

<ol>

<li>Recognition</li>

<li>Making</li>

<li>Reflection</li>

</ol>

<p>Ed: "...patient friends who will give me honest answers."<br>

A gift without price!<br>

I, too, feel the therapy aspect of darkroom work ... but that is (again, I speak only for me) entirely separate from the picture.</p>

<p>If I had to narrow it down to 1 part of the experience it would be when the final print rolls off and I can hold it and study it. (oh yeah and show it off)<br>

To Qualify that a bit I don't print everything, but when I think one is good enough to print. It's like a rush to see it in print and not just on the screen. Sorta the "I made that" feeling.<br>

I do enjoy the overall experience even the "mercenary services" and especially the "check clearing part!"</p>

<p>By far, what I like the most is making the print. I like making top notch, 100% digital, fine art prints. (I don't like traditional darkrooms though I can see why others love it).<br>

Then I like working out a difficult lighting problem to take the picture (love to do still lifes). <br>

Finally I like exploring to find pictures. <br>

Edmond</p>

I shoot pictures of the things going on in front of me. I usually refer to this as murder, mischief, mayhem and sports. I enjoy the whole process from the time I pull the camera out of the bag until I see it printed on a page or displayed on a wall. I will say that I shoot pictures, I don't take, make or capture them.

Rick H.

<p>The highest moments in photography are, for me, those in which I realize that I can make new image/s that relate to my goals...knowing approximately how. I increasingly want only to work with that attitude. The only other thing that counts is the print that I personally make. </p>

<p>The most fun part for me is the looking and finding the wonderful image. Cameras, in general, are a necessary pain. An ungainly device that I have to mash between my face and eye so to record that image. The joy of photography is the joy of seeing. The moment the shutter closes the fun is over till next time. All else is post processing. More like work than fun. But again a needed chore. It all ends up being a few moments of supreme pleasure surrounded by hours of tedium.</p>