Here we go again . . .Noctilux?

I got back into M's for a comfortable,lightweight system for travel

photography with 35mm and 90mm focal lengths. Now I am up to 6

lenses (15-135) and contemplating a Noctilux. I have a 50 Sumicron

and it has become my favorite lens, especially if I only take one

body and one lens. I am thinking of trading it for a Noctilux, if

for no other reason then trying photography at f/1. Comments?

If the 50 Summicron is your favorite Leica lens, why contemplate selling/trading it? If you are enamored with the Noctilux, borrow or rent one first; many buyers of this lens end up selling it. There is no law that mandates only one 50. If you find that you desire ownership of the Noctilux, you should still keep the Summicron; small and light the Noct is not.

Noctiluxes are specialized tools. Unless you plan to do about 80% of your shooting in dark light, I wouldn't trade for it. The novelty will wear off very quickly. I am tempted to get one but my realism knows firmly that the Summicron/Hexanon combination is much better for everyday uses.

Personally I prefer the optical quality of the Summicron any day and then handholding the body 2 shutter speed below rather than opening up. The Leica M was designed for low shutter speeds and I use that to good effect as much as I can. I don't mind doing 1/4 sec. in broad darkness of the Center City smog.

It appears you are more in the fetish of ownership than

photography., and nothing I'm about to say will change that

but...<P>

Do some research and see if you can find a shop that will rent

you the Noctilux. Start with Wall Street Camera or Lens and

Repro, both in New York City.<P>And if you don't mind me

pointing the obvious out, if you have the f/2 lens and you want to

try some low light photography try using faster film. After all a two

stop difference is the difference between ISO 100 and ISO 400,

or between ISO 400 and ISO 1600, etc.

I have a Noctilux & love it, but I wouldn't recommend trading in your regular 50 for it unless, as others have pointed out, plan on taking a *lot* of pictures @ f/1 (or already have a penchant for low-light photography) or have $$ to burn. If you search in the archives, you'll find many threads on the pros & cons of the Noctilux. If @ all possible, borrow or rent 1 before purchasing.

Richard; I second the vote to borrow or rent a Noctilux before making the plunge. <BR><BR>I have both the Summicron amd the Noctilux; and the Summicron gets alot more usage. I feel you may regret that you sold the Summicron; and grow tired of the added weight of the Noctilux.<BR><BR>My weird analogy is the Summicron is like a 16oz claw hammer; it does most of my nailing. In the garage sits a 6 Lb sledge; and my beefy neighbor has a 12Lb sledge. The sledges are like the Summilux & Noct; good tools for more specialized applications; and great for that purpose.<BR><BR>The Noct has little flare at F1.0 ; and is great for available light. If you can get your shots with a F2 or F1.4 and fast film; you might be wasting your money on the Noctilux. It only focuses to one meter; while the Summicron focuses closer. I have never used the lens at 1 meter; except the align the rangefinder. Some posters on this board comment about how the Noctilux only focuses to 1 meter as being a problem; I wonder if they have actually used a Noctilux. The DOF at 1 meter is small; just a couple of millimeters.<BR><BR>In order to really get sharp photos art F1; your rangefinder will probably have to be realligned. After 5 rolls of test shots; my Noct and M3 track from infinity to 1 meter very well. When first purchased; the Noct photos at F1 were worse than my Zorki3c and canon 50mm F1.2 at F1.2 . My Leica M3 was slightly off in the rangefinder; now it is ok. <BR><BR>Factor in the cost of getting ones rangefinder aligned; if one gets a Noctilux<BR><BR>Borrow or rent a Noctilux; then one can see if this is the tool you really want to use every day.

I was in exactly the same situation as yourself and I went ahead and traded in my cron for a noct. Turned out to be a mistake. The noct is a superb lens both wide open and closed down, but what I hated was the wrench like stiffness of the focussing and the 1 meter distance limit as opposed of 0.7m. Its great for low light stuff, but thats about it. In other situations, the Noct is too awkward, heavy and huge! I would have both the cron and Noct, but I wouldnt trade in the Noct for the Cron. I actually ended up buying a 50lux as a compromise between the 2.

I recently went through the same dilemma and spent an enormous sum of money on a nearly new noctilux. I was so glad I didnt trade the 'cron in as the noctilux lasted less than 1 week before being returned. It is huge - nothing had prepared me for the size and weight compared to my other m lenses. The results were very disappointing - this lens was unusable as a sole standard lens - I had landscapes taken where the middle of the frame was blurred and the outside sharp ! It was lovely at F1, great bokeh and a lovely feel but at f5.6 or f8 - forget it. The little lust for one has cost me more than £100 on something I wouldnt of bought if I had tried first.

Best regards

Dave

I was lucky enough to be given, for free, a 50mm f/0.95 Canon lens about 25 years ago. Just the optical part, no focussing mount. Not even a diaphragm. It makes a great magnifier for looking at slides and contact sheets. I never had the inclination to upgrade to the Noctilux.

Kristian,

Nice shot! Question... Is this full frame or did you crop? The guitar player in the background is close in size to the one in the foreground, giving a "tele-compression" look. I seem to get more prominate foregrounds with my 50mm shots.

You are right... the image is very sharp.

Richard,

I would suggest you consider what you want to photogragh. For example, I like to use the M for street photography where I pre-focus and shoot. I need depth of field and like being at f8 or so. If the lens fits with something you want to do on an ongoing basis it may be worth it to you. If you just want to try f1 photography you may tire of the weight and narrow depth of field. It is a very specialized lens. If you need it, it is worth every penny but if you don't I would pass.

I imagine the quality of Kristian's shot will be enough to convince you that you want the Noctilux! However, bear in mind that the money you can get for the 'cron won't come anywhere near your outlay for a Noctilux. So, as others have said, since the 50 'cron is your most useful lens, you'd probably benefit from keeping it as a first-class, light-weight alternative to the Noctilux.

Since you have 6 lenses, insn't there another one that is less useful to you, which you'd be prepared to trade for a Noct? How often do you use the 135mm, for example?

Yes, I have six lenses but very seldom travel with more then two or three. I like taking the 35 and 90 but will often throw in my 21. However, it depends on my destination.

I just spent two weeks in Yellowstone and used the 135 the most. I am presently working at the embassy in Mexico City for the next 30 days and decided to travel here very light-my M2/50.

Sometimes its fun to limit yourself to just one lens as a discipline in seeing. When I said earlier that the 50f2 was my favorite lens, I meant the focal length. I hadn't done much with a 50 for several years and I am rediscovering the attributes of the focal length which is why I am wondering about a noctilux.

The lens I use the least is the 15mm. I bought it last summer to experiment but it is just too wide. I acquired a 21 a couple months ago which I dearly love. Probably sell/trade the 15mm but $300 would not make much of a dent in the cost of a Noctilux.