Photography workshop for a modeling agency

michael_novo

<p>Recently did a 5 day workshop that was very interesting. The photographer who put the whole thing together arranged that we would shoot using the models he shoots with for our workshop. It was also a whole A-Z project where we had to present our images to the owner of the agency on the last day and she would give us feedback as to if she'd hire us or not and what changes she'd like to see made. We worked on a lot of different sets and had access to a huge amount of equipment. Definitely a very unique experience and a workshop like no other.<br>

<br /> http://novophotography.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/location-people-18-karat-modeling/</p>

<p>Here is my critique ( I'm assuming you posted because you want a critique)::<br>

In general the photographs are ok, but several things to look out for:<br>

Posing/composing: The image of the older woman crawling on the floor is kind of weird. Watch out for weird tilts, such as the one of the young girl. Also watch for cropping at wrists, fingers, feet, including or excluding crotches. Also watch where they hold props ( ie sunglasses over the woman's mouth makes for a really creepy image)<br>

Postprocessing: Many images are overexposed, especially in the face. Maybe this is intentional? Also, watch when 'actionizing' your work. Some of it looks like actions downloaded for free. One of the images of the kids in the boat shows 'moire' on his jeans.<br>

Just my .02. Hope it helps.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback! Yes most of my overexposing is intentional. It's more my style, so I roll with it. I know some of the shots such as the first one with the watch is cut off, but that boiled down to picking the better facial expression and hand gesture vs part of the watch being cut off. The sunglasses over the mouth I agree with, that shot along with the older woman crawling were just little funsie shots. Actually the girl with the glasses was the makeup girl who I told to have a seat against the car and quickly grabbed this shot as we were walking in. I do see much of what you're saying...next time hopefully they'll be that next notch up!</p>

<p>Well I don't know that I'd get hired full on. Her feedback regarding some of my shots was that she would say sort of to herself "that would sell" and "I can use that". I know that she pointed out a number of shots that she'll be using on the site for the models portfolios. Not sure I surpass the current photog who shoots for her though. He's the one who put the workshop on and pretty solid!</p>

<p>Michael, just a question; did the overexposed face become your style becasue you wouldtn be able to get it right or because this is really what you want and can remove that effect on demand?</p>

<p>Serious question, because many times when i heard that from someone it make my eye blink.. and it seem to always append when people ahve shot problem that they define as *style* they want..but when hired to do something less *stylish* they cant produce it..</p>

<p>Put that appart, in general i think that the shot are over process (talking about the different effect) like you want to cover something or just discover a set of plugin.. Rarely i will see a agency that will like that, one or two shot are OK..but the owner cant make her artist always cover with effect. I agree that many seem to have a angle / pose problem.. Some look good.</p>

<p>In the end, if you are a amateur i will say good job, not good enough for serious or high end model agency, but good for sure for agency that cover *regular* people...and lucky you, they are a lot like that ; )</p>

<p>Well it became part of my style simply because I dug it. Just to clear up, within my blog posting I have shots that were for fun along with ones that I presented to the client. So #29 for example is a shot that is not overexposed on the original, but I simply felt like tweaking it to look like that. It's fun, bright, and it was just the hair/makeup girl. The same goes for #30...I'm not sure I would ever push eyes to that level on someone seeking a serious head shot...but this other hair/makeup girl was talking about how she didn't like her eye color and I said "let me snap this shot and have some fun with it".<br>

The main model that I worked with was Vincent...the track athlete, so those shots (3-5 and 17) I was more focused on getting things correct. But #18 was again just a shot for me to tinker with that's more on the creative side but really won't serve much of a purpose for him. Guess I should have made that a bit more clear. At least I'm hoping that some of the images are a 6 or a 7 on a scale of 10. My goal in taking the workshop was to get a feel for what it's like to work in a real time studio environment with a whole crew of people, time pressure, and see what it is that agents want. The goal wasn't to get hired by the agency, that was just the final cherry on top if she saw an image that she could use.<br>

One thing that I had to also understand is that when you're heading out to work in an environment like this and it being so overwhelming...I noticed for a number of us our quality took a bit of a step back since now we're trying to accomplish a look that someone else is dictating vs what our natural style is. The important thing is that I walked away and can look at my images and say "here's where I would improve next time". And there are a lot of places where I would improve :)<br>

I began seriously shooting back in May. That was the point where I said that I'd like to get to a level where I can do this for people I know first and then spread out and do this as a side job/hobby. I'd put myself as a step above amateur. Granted compared to many of the photogs here I'm a newbie...but with each session or shoot I do, I try to improve on the notes I made from last time and just take a step forward here or there. I don't want anyone to think that I walked away from this shoot and thought to myself "I've arrived!" :) In reality I simply learned a number of things over the course of a few days and will keep building on that.</p>

<p>things are more clear indeed then. Maybe you should then have some tab where you clearly define your field? let say one call portrit, corpo, kids, effect etc.. dotn know if you can do that on a blog, but lets talk about a web site for one second..it would be more clear that way for sure ; )</p>

<p>Good things if you learn new material along the way, even if is just how to use a softbox differently..it open a new range of possibility. Keep the good work ; )</p>

<p>I'd say if you have only been shooting since May these are extraordinary. You say that you were particularly concerned with getting the photos of Vincent correct and I think it shows. Those are among my favorites. I especially like 3, 4, 14, and 23 (with 3 being my absolute favorite). I agree that 10 is both strange and unattractive-my least favorite. I also agree that 29 doesn't work at all. And I would characterize most of the rest as attractive and competent photos. I would be careful not to become too cliched with some of the poses. Again I think this is fine work. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Yes, #10 for sure would not work...well then again if there was a Steelers fetish agency then I would probably disagree with you :) That was Bert and she was crazy and full of life. There's no real photos I felt that I could snap of her that would truly be taken seriously so I went for the creative shots instead and she was more than happy to hop up on that train.</p>

<p>I guess looking back now I could have done a better job of splitting the images or written a bigger disclaimer about some of the images where some of the images are more "if you can't beat them, join them". When I saw her in that jersey I wondered if she had run that wardrobe choice by the agent, but she was out in the train yard and in those heels it would have taken 20 minutes to walk back in, change, then get out there...at which time we'd have to call it quits and move to the next location.</p>

<p>And I should also note that I haven't just been shooting since May. I had a camera before May and did it as a hobby. Then in May is when I decided to get serious about it and really work on my images and get shots that make others happy, not just shots for myself. So I thought about it for a bit and decided to take on the long long process of becoming a better photographer and charging for my work. I hope that in the upcoming years I build a positive rep for myself and that people seek me out to do their family, wedding, etc... photos. As for the commercial side such as this workshop. I'll have to tackle that in the future if I want to go that route.</p>

<p>Has anyone here gone straight to being a commercial photog?</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
<p>Hey Guys I am in my final year of my Photography Hons Degree and Sheffield Hallam and for one of my final modules i have to create a professional practise portfolio. The idea to my portfolio is choosing the area of photography that i want to persue when i leave the institution. From looking at my work over the past 5 years, there is a obvious split in Commercial work that i would see in magazines, to fine art work that i would imagine to not look out of place in a gallery. I would be very greatfull if you could provide me with your own opinions on the different genres, who prefers fine art and who prefers the commercial side of things. I need quotes, blogs, websites and interviews. If any one is willing to help i would be so thankfull. Send links to me on here, or <a rel="nofollow" href="mailto:gracelockwood@hotmail.com">gracelockwood@hotmail.com</a>. Please :) x</p>