Which medium format camera?

eva_k._salvi

<p>Ryan, although I haven't used a 124G I know they have a reputation of failing film advance mechanism. I have no idea why they're so much more expensive and attractive to buyers than the older models. If you can find an older model in ok working shape go for it! If you can live without the light meter of course since it will likely be inoperative. I have a Yashica Mat LM. It's a phenomenal camera!</p>

<p>No-one's mentioned the Pentacon Six TL - 6x6, WLF, and a built-in self timer. Ticks all your boxes. Also, extraordinarily light and compact.</p>

<p>Excellent and huge array of lenses - especially the 120mm Biometar and 180mm Sonnar; both are perfect for portraits.</p>

<p>Typically 200 Euro in mint condition with 80mm Biometar. Only half your budget!</p>

<p>Have about 10 Yashica TLRs. A good choice is the Yashica D. The film wind knob is more reliable than those that have the film crank. Also recommend the Mamiya C220 over the C330 for the same reason. Have had the 220, 330 and 330F. Now, just have the 220. It can do about anything the 330 can. The 105Ds has a built-in timer. Some people complain about the 330's weight. Never thought it was too heavy. But, the 220 is lighter.</p>

<p>Hi everyone I have now bought this Bronica (that I am still waiting to receive) and I still need to buy a self-timer for it. I looked into universal self-timers and I haven't been able to find anything so far! It seems all the online boutiques do not sell them anymore and there are non on eBay... Does anyone know about them and where to get them?<br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>Ooooh indeed, there are loads on eBay. From what I have read on the forum and on various pages while doing research, I am not sure what the different features are. Which model should I get for a Bronica SQA? Also which model has the longest delay?<br>

Thank you for your help! :)</p>

<p>Eva,<br>

I've had a few Yashica TLR's and they certainly did the job well. If you see one on Ebay that looks like a good find, you can always have it CLA'ed by Mark Hama. I did this with a Yashica EM that I was very happy with. You should be able to get one pretty reasonable. I now have a Bronica S2A that I love. That is also an option. Good luck. </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Thanks, Eva, for starting this thread. For the past 30 years I've shot only 35 mm, and my supply of Kodachrome 25 is nearly exhausted. I'm looking to move to medium format for its detail-capturing ability. But I must confess that I don't know a thing about medium-format cameras. I think I would prefer 645 to 6x6, a camera that has a built-in light meter (if medium-format cameras have them) and something that could possibly be shot hand-held (although I would probably continue to use my Leicas for this purpose). I would likely buy something used.<br>

Thoughts?<br>

Thanks much, everyone.</p>