Quick RAW question...

brooke_marcellino

<p>I've never shot in RAW, would like to try it out, but I just read the recent post about it and I'm a little confused. It was stated that you need conversion software to work with raw files. What is this software? Does Lightroom do it automatically, or do I need to buy additional software? I had the trial version of lightroom 2 and plan to actually buy it soon as my primary editing tool, so do I also need to buy additional raw conversion software for lightroom 2? I also have Elements 7 and a really old version of PhotoShop- 5.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>RAW conversion software can read the raw data from the camera's sensor and convert it into standard image formats, such as jpeg, tiff or psd. The software also allows a range of edits as well. Lightroom has the ability to convert RAW files--it is a built in capability, but of course needs to be updated periodically for the most recent cameras. Virtually all cameras that can generate RAW files offer some sort of proprietary RAW software conversion software, although it may have more limited editing capability than something like Lightroom. Adobe Camera Raw, which is included with Photoshop, also has all the raw conversion abilities of Lightroom (but like Lightroom you need the most recent version to handle the most recent cameras) and there are other raw converters available.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>RAW conversion software can read the raw data from the camera's sensor and convert it into standard image formats, such as jpeg, tiff or psd. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>The software also needs to "convert" the data even to display a recognisable image. The raw data includes only separate numerical values for the red, green and blue filtered pixels in the sensor's Bayer array, and the numbers need to be interpolated to colour/brightness values for each pixel to display on screen. I think there are also radical brightness curve adjustments required before raw data looks approximately <em>normal</em>.</p>

<p>Although note that RAW formats include a small jpeg (regardless of the "in-camera JPEG/RAW settings") which is used, for instance, for back-of-the-camera viewing. When you import a RAW-only file into Lightroom the display flashes up the image then very shortly after, the colours change somewhat. I believe what you are seeing first is the attached preview jpeg being replaced by the raw data run through Lightroom's conversion algorithms.</p>