Rangefinders on a Budget

joseph_wei

I had the meter of my FTbn adjusted to use a 1.5 volt silver battery when I bought it from my local used dealer. If a local repairman isn't availible where you live, or the repair costs are too unresonable, I believe CRIS Camera (and some other internet suppliers) sell an adapter that allows certain non-mercury batteries to fit the FTb and FTbn. Thanks for the comments, and good luck in your search for a battery - the FTbn is one of my workhorse camera's at the moment, and I'm very pleased with it.

Thanks for all the responses. I have been able to borrow a Leica M4-P with 35mm and 28mm lenses from a retired photojournalist friend of mine. However, being used to SLRs, I'm really confused when it comes to loading the camera. Could anyone please tell me how to perform this task (there's no manual, and my friend is out of town at the moment)? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Sorry for taking so long in posting a reply. Everything went well, with the M4-P and the lenses performing perfectly (and silently too). I tried the mirror lock-up/Leica finder setup on the FTb, but it was still too loud. The pictures from the Leica were crisp and sharp, and the pastor/church newsletter editors were very impressed with them. Just one more question regarding rangefinders. Not long after returning the M4-P to the friend, a fellow photographer from my high school offered to sell me her Canon VT with a "black" 50mm f/1.8 lens for $350 (she is moving away in a couple months and won't need his camera anymore). I know very little about the VT and haven't had a chance to see or handle it. Anyone have any opinions or advice regarding this camera? Is this a good buy (she claims it is in "excellent" condition)? I'm grateful for all the previous comments and advice - they were very helpful in my decision of using the M4-P for the church service. Thanks again!

JW