Breaking into the child/family/newborn arena...

<p>Hi all, <br>

I eventually plan to do weddings+portraits but for the moment, I'm starting a portrait business, my main focus being children/family/newborn. First off, I LOVE kids, so it's not something I'm doing just because it's a lucrative business opportunity, I have photographed tons of children and always loved every minute (yes, even when they're being difficult ;-).</p>

<p>Anyway, my actual question is how do I get my name out there? I'm thinking of going to baby/kids boutiques, Gymboree, etc and leaving business cards and a discount coupon of some kind, would that be a good idea? I'm just hoping to get some ideas of how those of you who are doing this for a living got your names out there. It seems that once I'm established, a lot of my business will come from word of mouth but until then, what do I do?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance! <br>

Kristin</p>

<p>Family periodicals.<br>

You can try boutiques, privately owned ones. I seriously doubt the corporate stores will let you advertise.<br /> W.O.M. Word Of Mouth<br>

Local Day Care facilities</p>

<p>Most importantly you need to be ready for business. Both photography wise and business wise. Are you set up with DBA? Tax numbers? Insurance?<br>

You only have one image posted. It's a nice image, but not something I would expect a professional child photographer to do. I don't know what your other work looks like, but if you brand yourself as a mediocre photographer at the start, it's hard to get out of that "brand".</p>

<p>"It seems that once I'm established, a lot fo my business will come from word of mouth..." Yes, if you do it right. It takes much more then the desire and a camera to do business correctly. The business of photography is much more about business then it is photography.</p>

<p>Kristin,<br>

I just rented wall space in a newly opened childrens resale store. The rent is very reasonable and I have control over what prints and how I hang them. I will keep it well stocked with cards and flyers.<br>

Like Jon said I doubt that Gymboree or any big corporate stores would be able to help you out.<br>

Look more for the private owned and resale boutiques.<br>

Elaine</p>

<p>Hi Kristin,<br>

My personal experience has been that word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising for kids and families. If a client loves what you do for her, she is SURE to tell her friends. I also offer client incentives for referrals. My blog is also a big advertiser. I preview a session there and people like to send the link to all of their friends. <br>

Best wishes!<br>

kate</p>

<p><strong>Most importantly you need to be ready for business. Both photography wise and business wise. Are you set up with DBA? Tax numbers? Insurance?</strong><br>

I'm working on all that, I'll have it all done before I actually start doing business. <br>

<br /><strong>You only have one image posted. It's a nice image, but not something I would expect a professional child photographer to do. I don't know what your other work looks like, but if you brand yourself as a mediocre photographer at the start, it's hard to get out of that "brand".</strong><br>

That was actually an accident, I'm new on the forum and I didn't mean to post that image, I'll go change it now. That's not reflective of what my work looks like.</p>