Next Purchase Prime vs Flash

dan_raley

<p>I recently purchased my first DSLR a Nikon D3000 w/the kit lenses (18-55vr & 55-200vr) and am now looking to add to my setup. The next two items I want to purchase are a 35mm 1.8 prime and a flash unit (SB600). What would your suggestions be on what to add next. I mostly shoot family, travel/street and outdoor pics. I was thinking the 35mm 1.8 would make most sense to add next, but am looking for input on what you would think. Also am I ahead to go with the SB600, or the smaller SB400?</p>

<p>You have a lens, now, that allows you to shoot at 35mm. So the question is: what do you find lacking, there? Is it the ability to shoot in lower light, at that particular focal length? If so, then a faster f/1.8 lens will be helpful, keeping in mind that you'll also have very shallow depth of field when you use it that way. <br /><br />With the flash, you'll have the ability to change your shooting circumstances across a wide range of focal lengths, given the lenses you already have. I'd avoid the SB-400 for a number of reasons, unless you absolutely must have it as small as possible. My main gripes about the 400 are the inability to bounce it off the ceiling when you happen to want the camera in a vertical/portrait orientation (only sideways wall bounced allowed). You also can't set manual power levels, or get nearly the overall horsepower that you can out of the larger units.<br /><br />Only your own experience and expectations can tell you if you're lacking light-gathering abliity in the 35mm lens's range, or whether you'd be better off being able to fill shadows and light dim rooms using your existing lenses - by adding the flash. Given your newness to things, you might want to hold off on another lens purchase until you really discover what focal lengths suit your style. 35mm may be perfect, or it may be 5mm too long (or way too short!). Your current lenses are the ideal laboratory for you to discover what you need next in a lens. But only using a bounceable flash will help you understand what that can do for you.</p>

<p>IMHO, Unless you have to cover an event, get the faster 35/1.8. Natural lighting typically get you better result then what a single flash can do. If you do get a flash, get the most powerful one (ie: SB900) or don't get one. Bounce, reflection, diffusion or telephoto distant eat up power light crazy. If you don't do any of that, then you may as well crank up the ISO and use the on-board flash (results are just as bad :-) </p>

<p>I would get the 35 over the flash, as the extra speed will give you enough light to work with that you'll need flash less often. You'll learn more and get more out of the lens than the flash, which would be a good purchase as the NEXT item:) I'd get the 600 over the 400, as it gives you more options down the road for more creative lighting, but if all you are wanting is a good fill flash the 400 does a fine job.</p>

<p>Not easy to say which you should get, as you've got 'em both--kit lens at 35 mm and on-camera flash. But since you asked, I'd spring for the flash unit, as it opens the door to supplementary lighting, both on-camera and off-axis, and the 35 simply enables you to shoot in slightly lower levels of available light. The 600 would be preferred over the 400 and the 900 over the 600, simply because maximum output can be dialed down, but never up. Whichever you get, consider getting a bounce card setup, the larger the better, as it's the most efficient way of diffusing and naturalizing the light from your flash.<br>

On the other hand, I don't shoot a lot of candids and don't have much need to be a fly-on-the-wall in the tradition of available-light photography. Follow your joy.</p>

<p>Fast lenses are over-rated. The flash is a basic tool of photography. Get a modest flash and learn how to use it. A lightstand and some method of triggering that flash off camera are part of the basics. That'll keep you busy for about five years. The fast lens will keep you busy for an additional 15 minutes. There's more to learn with the flash. It'll benefit your photos more in the long run.</p>

<p>+1 for the flash for the reasons stated. Don't forget to investigate reflectors and other light modifiers - there's a lot you can do with a single flash.</p>

<p>The 35/1.8 should stay on your list, particularly if you want to get photos with nicer out-of-focus backgrounds than you can get with the kit lenses. I'd get the SB600 over the SB400.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>You have two lenses that will serve you just fine for a while or at least until you are better able to make a call as to what you really want from a good and expensive lens. I'd suggest getting the SB600. A hotshoe flash unit really opens up SO MANY doors to great indoor and outdoor lighting. Once you have it, experiment with it, and use it appropriately - you'll kick yourself for even considering not buying it.</p>