What software do I need? Can you help?

jacqueline_moore

<p>I am pretty new in some aspects of sending things to online labs. When I was into photography before, I used a local lab...but of course they went out of business. that local lab apparently babied me b/c i never knew anything about resizing, dpi or ppi, and they always turned out beautiful. <br>

I really like the products offered at whcc. i'm not using them as my main lab, but i would like to use them for some things like rep cards and the folded business cards and maybe gift tags. when sending my test prints, they said i needed to have a specific color space imbedded, and also that i needed to calibrate my monitor before they could print them for me. They gave me directions and gave me recommendations. here's what they said...<br>

1. need to pick a color space in photoshop<br>

2. need to buy calibration thing X-Rite i1 Display is recommended<br>

I know I sound really clueless...I'm really not that "into" all of the digital stuff...I just of course like the ability to crop, retouch, adjust saturation, and adjust contrast really...I have no desire to buy photoshop at this time. well, i take that back...i would like the ability to design pages in an album, and i think photoshop would give me that ability, right? rather than sending my jpgs for someone else to design?<br>

ok that was off topic.<br>

do i need photoshop? does everyone have it? do i need that calibration device? i don't really want to spend all of that money if I don't actually need it. Are there other cheaper options that others might be using?<br>

I do mainly outdoor portrait photography. i have a small studio but i've just gotten it out after 3 years and haven't "relearned" what i know I have forgotten. I taught elem. ed for 3 years, and am taking the year off to stay home with our new baby.</p>

<p>I use Photoshop Elements 5.</p>

<p>It's an older version, and I bought it cheap, off someone who was uograding to the full version...</p>

<p>For my uses, it's more powerful than I need, and yet very easy to use, perhaps I've not yet tried all of it's features, certainly, I've not mastered them all!</p>

<p>It take a little trial and error - you can have lots of fun whilst doing this - it's not a chore!</p>

<p>My advice would be to try to get AT LEAST Photoshop Elements, it's the main bits of PS, without the 'overload'!<br>

Regharding a calibration device, it's not worth the cost at this stage, you can checkout some online stuff which will give a relatively standard set of parameters to calibrate your monitor.</p>

<p>Others will no doubt disagree - checkout my images to see what I've done - I'm not saying that I'm a 'guru' but see what you think!</p>

<p>Look for Abobe RGB or sRGB among a list of options in there; probably will be related to an "Export" function. I don't have PSE, but I would look for items like those. sRGB is an example of a color space.</p>

<p>I had a look over at that business' web page, and I'd basically consider going somewhere else. </p>

<p>I read through their 35 page 2009 Pricing and Services Guide, and about half a dozen pages of that website. There are a couple of red flags in there. There's something about the marketing talk and the pricing scheme that doesn't sit right with me. On the last few pages of that pricing guide, they had some specific, dialog-box examples of how to set up the software to prepare your files for their printing. </p>

<p>Hey, there was something about that place, I'm not sure what, that would make me carefully read the fine print in any terms of use or contract they slid across the table. Something's not right. Their attitude is backwards.</p>

<p>I think you should shop around some more. </p>

<p>Thank you John--yes, I know they sound a little snobby and are very particular about how they want stuff. I thought so too. They will def. not be my main lab. Just for a couple of things...because I really really like their style. I really appreciate your help. I looked, and PSE 2.0 doesn't have it. <br>

Thanks, Shaun--you have just saved me a lot of money!</p>