The most inspiring of the 'great' photographers..

robwilson

<p>I am in the process of building a collection of books by the 20th century's greatest photographers. What I am wondering is which of the greats inspires you the most? Whose pictures send shivers down your spine?<br>

For me, it has to be Henri Cartier Bresson, for his extraordinary ability to capture the decisive moment; Robert Frank, for producing the incredible collection that is 'The Americans'; William Eggleston, for making the ordinary seem a little weird and uncomfortable; and Andreas Gursky, for the magnificent scale of his most recent work.<br>

Anyway, I'd love to know what you all think! <br>

Cheers<br>

Rob</p>

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>They probably wouldn't be counted as great photographers by name, but space photos from astronauts and engineers have been the most inspiring to me. Dude makes a photo of a galaxy far, far away form his backyard; that's a hard photo to make. Astronaut walking or flying around in an environment that would kill him and mummify his body in microseconds; he brought back a picture of space; that's a hard photo to make.</p>

<p>Jacques Cousteau. Invented the aqualung regulator as we know it today; made photos and movies in an environment that would drown him out and kill him brain dead in 15 minutes. Came back with images in focus and properly exposed. Showed them to everyone.</p>

<p>Lab techs who came up with microscope photos, high-speed photos (Eggleston) and the like would have to be in there, in the collection.</p>

<p>How about, Hershel? I believe he was the discoverer of fixer and inventor of cynaotype, which predated black and white silver processes by about 20 years. If he hadn't come up with that, then a lot of photosensitive processes wouldn't be around. He was the son of a famous astronomer.</p>

<p>Adams, Capa and Laura Gilpin.</p>

<p>Don't forget O'Keefe-Odom. He's the greatest photo stud of all time.</p>

<p>Edouard Boubat (won't feature in too many American lists but truly one of the greats)<br>

Guy Bourdin<br>

Gianni Berengo Gardin (just recently adviced to me; he's great)<br>

Jean-Loup Sieff<br>

Ellen von Unwerth<br>

Horst P. Horst<br>

George Hurrell<br>

David LaChapelle<br>

Alexander Rodchenko<br>

Joel-Peter Witkin<br>

Cindy Sherman<br>

Bettina Rheims<br>

Anton Corbijn<br>

Erwin Olaf<br>

Josef Koudelka<br>

Andres Serrano<br>

Don McCullin<br>

and so on.....</p>

<p>Weston (Daybook II) and Bill Brand (Portraits).</p>

<p>Being a wonderful photographer (per above lists) isn't the same for me as "inspiring." </p>

<p>...and, having been inspirational in the past isn't the same as inspiring future work. </p>