Shooting JPEG vs. RAW - Suggestions (NOT debate)

melinda_gaus

<p>Well, since my post is still sitting up here, I'll add a bit more...</p>

<p>I shoot with a Nikon D80, so my RAW files would be NEF format. Can I work on this directly in Photoshop Elements 6 or will I need another download?? I've seen several other posts and questions to this effect.</p>

<p>Also, when I'm doing the post processing how should I save? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question, but should I just "save as" in NEF format until I'm done? Then convert to JPEG or TIFF? I tend to do a lot of work over time and "save as" a lot. I don't do all my work on one photo in one sitting.</p>

<p>Thanks. Sorry again I'm a bit lost on this stuff.</p>

<p>Melinda, I'm a lot like you. I started out shooting just jpeg. Then after reading about RAW so much, decided to shoot both. I then switched back to just jpeg. I found it too much work to convert RAW files. My jpeg's are good enough for me, but I'm just a hobbyist with no plans of selling (or pretty much anything except for personal enjoyment), so if I goof up a shot, it doesn't really matter that much. My time spent at a computer converting RAW files is time I don't have. I think it really depends on your intent and expected outcome. I'm ok with jpeg for me because of time. If you have the time and need the RAW files, I'd do both as Lex suggested. I'm not familiar with Elements, but my old version (PS CS 8), can't work directly with NEF files. (another hurdle I had to do before converting RAW files)</p>

<p>Melinda,<br>

Adobe Photoshop Elements (PSE) uses a simplified version of the Adobe Raw Converter (ACR). You first need to make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of ACR that is compatible with version 6. I think that should be able to handle D80 files but since I use Photoshop CS4 not PSE, I can't say for sure. In Photoshop, selecting Updates in the Help menu will find and download any available updates to ACR so I assume that will work in PSE also.</p>

<p>To open a NEF file into ACR, you should be able to just open it using any of the same commands as you would for any other file that you want to process in PSE. It will first open in the ACR screen, not the familiar PSE screen. In ACR, you can make the raw adjustments that you want. Then you have the choice of either opening it in PSE for further processing or simply saving the raw adjustments by clicking done, allowing you to come back for more work later. When you save a NEF file with raw adjustments, ACR creates a separate "sidecar" file that records the raw adjustments and leaves the NEF file intact. If you open a NEF file from ACR into PSE, you will then be able to save it in the usual fashion as either a PSE file or a jpeg or whatever you choose--in that case the NEF file and sidecar file remain as they were so you can go back to them, while all the PSE changes are recorded in the new file.</p>

<p>Ry,<br>

In Photoshop CS4, opening a NEF file (the type of raw file generated by the D80) will take you directly into Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) which should have been installed automatically as part of your CS4 installation. ACR does a very fine job with raw conversion and adjustments. When you are done with the raw conversion in ACR, you can click on the "Open" button and your converted file will open in PSCS4 for any further editing you desire. </p>

<p>Many people find the ACR converter to be all they need. If you spend the time to become familiar with what ACR can do, you will likely find that many files need only minimal additional work in PSCS4, i.e., you can accomplish most of your work in ACR.</p>

<p>You may see some references in forum discussions to people using Adobe Lightroom for raw conversions--ACR and Lightroom use the same raw conversion software and offer identical features in terms of raw conversion. Lightroom offers a lot of features for file management, but ACR has what you need for raw conversion.</p>

<p>Nikon's Capture NX2 software does an excellent job with raw conversion of NEF files, but since you already have CS4, it makes sense to start there as it may be exactly what you want.</p>

<p>"Also, when I'm doing the post processing how should I save? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question, but should I just "save as" in NEF format until I'm done? Then convert to JPEG or TIFF? I tend to do a lot of work over time and "save as" a lot. I don't do all my work on one photo in one sitting."</p>

<p>I would save as a PSD until finished. When done; flatten and save as TIFF.</p>