7D AF issues - how real are they?

romuald.janik

<p>My 7D has also had focus issues for months .. and I finally diagnosed the problem as follows:<br /> <br /> the central and left-most and right-most focus points work fine. But the top-most and bottom-most front-focus badly - so much that a +20 AF microadjustment isn't quite enough to get them tack sharp. The other focus points above and below the center have varying degrees of error. I found the focus points consistently focus the same - the trippy part is they are different to each other as they move up and down from center.<br>

<br /> I reproduced this on both an 85mm f/1.8 prime and 17-55mm f/2.8 lenses. Also tested these lenses on my older 40D and had no issues with the various focus points.<br>

<br /> I don't know what the fix entails, but I am sending my camera in for repair and I hope the issue will be resolved. I'll post back the results here.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>though an old thread let me add:<br>

don't waste your time sending your camera to Canon services hoping it will come back fixed. I send mine 3 times and every time the paper say they fixed something but in fact there is nothing fixed.<br>

you will read the problem on so many forums about this camera, when it was released on the market up to now.<br>

Canon seems to hide the problem because I think it would cost them too much money, many suggest that the user is at fault and will give you suggestion on focusing, in many cases I believe so, users is at fault, but others no. also there is not much attention to it since this not a 1D pro series where press would bring up the problem like they did with the markIII, then Canon would listen!<br>

the problem is that some well known professional have tested few of the 7D and come to the conclusion that AF get a problem of focusing, I'm talking of the erratic back and front focusing, while live view will focus perfectly. the micro adjustment is a waste if you have one with the problem since the focusing is random.<br>

Of course I do think some 7D are really good, but it is a 1500-2000$ gambling<br>

I've read all forum(most) google so many hours on the subject over the years to find solutions and here is the best and if you listen you will be happy with your 7D :<br>

- if you are new to slr don't get this one first, get another to familiarize with the focusing system of an slr, you may realize the problem year after when you know how to use it.<br>

-you know how to use slr focus : then double make sure the place you buy has a return policy (10 days depends of the store) and that they have a reputation to respect it. test test test and test, if you find result inconsitent don't hesitate to return, and test another one until you find one you like, sometimes they sell you already returned camera hoping you will be the fish to buy it, Canon makes good product but they are shark after all, they want your money not your satisfaction, for the ordinary people of course, since they want to give satisfaction to big people, it helps to sell their products.<br>

hopefully I have other canon slr that I can rely on with good AF, now I use my 7D with a tripod shooting in manual or live view where I'm sure to achieve 100% focus, of course non moving things. but 8frames/s is a complete waste for mine.<br>

I will stick to canon because I've got so many L prime and zoom lenses, but next time I buy I test test and test and return if not satisfied </p>

• 3 months later...