Question about Zeiss 50mm F/1.4 ZF

brad_herman1

<p>All;<br>

I have a D700 and a Nikon FM3a. I have a few Nikon AF-S Zoom Lenses as well as several Ais Nikkor lenses.<br>

I've used Zeiss lenses for years on my Hasselblad when I shot professionally, and loved the sharpness and look of the Zeiss optics.<br>

I have a Nikon 45mm F/2.8P Nikkor 'pancake' lens, and the 50mm F/1.4 Ais Nikkor, and use them both as they have dirrerent characteristics. I was at a photo show today, and picked up a nice-looking used Zeiss 50mm F/1.4 ZF lens on a 'whim'. I have a couple of questions...<br>

How does this lens stack up both optically and mechanically against my other two Nikkors? Also, it appears as if it may have a brass lens mount with steel plating as you can see a slight circular 'wear-point' (the gold-ish brass color is showing through) where the Zeiss lens rubs against the Nikon Stainless Steel mount. Shoukldn't a lens of this caliber have a Stainless-Steel mount?<br>

Is the Zeiss a "keeper"? Should I keep the 50mm Nikkor as well?<br>

Thanks, Brad</p>

<p>Brad,<br>

there are lots of reviews on this lens. Many people do not like it because the out of focus area in the background is harsh looking. But I have looked at a lot of images made with lens and thought they looked excellent. Have some fun shooting it on the digital camera and make up your mind later.</p>

<p>"Shoukldn't a lens of this caliber have a Stainless-Steel mount?"<br>

Dissimilar metals are the are usually desirable choice-there is a 'self-lubricating' quality to them. Your [non-junky]Nikon lenses have chrome-plated brass mounts on the lens. Unfortunately, while Nikon's mount is fine, they have mostly picked similar-metals (Al + Al) for the focusing helicoids in the classic Ai-type lenses, which can lead to focus backlash, wobblyness, and longevity problems.</p>