Shooting large leather party/fashion show - equipment?

mvw photo

<p>Another "hey guys, what would you bring?" question.</p>

<p>Shooting, tomorrow night, a large fetish party/leather show in Toronto. From fashion show to people all dressed in leather. No doubt it will be intolerably loud and warm. :)</p>

<p>Question: what would you all bring? I am an experienced event shooter, but however long I have been doing this, I am never too old to learn from colleagues. I have everything in cameras (1 aD MkIII, a 1Ds MkIII, and a 7D) and in lenses (50 f/1.4, 35 f/1.4, 24-70 f/2.8, 16-35 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8IS, etc) and speedlites and modifiers and accessories. But of course as always the limiting factor is: I am alone and have to CARRY all this stuff all night.</p>

<p>And I expect there will be a mix of dark and light, grip-and-grins and runway, PJ and posed. So I;d like everything but clearly that is not an option.</p>

<p>I am thinking two bodies. Maybe the 7D with long lens and 1Ds with wide - or with 24-70? Or instead 1D with 16-35 (lighter)? Honl speedlight modifiers and Fong lightsphere, spare batteries, and that should do it?</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Your two body idea is something I'd do. As for lighting, I would bring one compact stand and one other off camera flash with modifier(s), in case I have the time and space to use them. If it were me, this would consist of my Nano compact stand, Sunpak 120J with triggers, and a compact umbrella. All of this fits in a 27-33" tripod bag which I would carry across my back. Also, some bungee cords or other fasteners, in case I can make use of convenient places to put an off camera flash.</p>

<p>If forced to work without the above, I'd rely on my ST-E2 with the flash in my hand or on my lightstick. I also have one of those Morris wide slaves. All of this stuff sits in my shoulder bag anyway. I also have a 20" umbrella that I carry on the bag, although I have a number of other modifiers.</p>

<p>Thanks - as always, Nadine.<br>

I was teaching (photography), hence the slow response.</p>

<p>I'll bring all that.. also, I will use the strap I just bought - Blackrapid.com - as well as the Ezeestrap I am evaluating. So that means Ill be able to hang all my cameras from me in some comfort, which will make a nice change.</p>

<p>A necessary one since I teach all day first,and then 9pm-3am shoot... :-)</p>

<p>Agreed re shadows - awful. I always avoid aiming flash at people - meaning I then get underexposed images if the ceiling is 1,000 ft high... anything to avoid aiming the flash at people... but yes, will bring all the modifiers I have. Lumiquest, Honl, et al.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If given no choice, I'll do this:</p>

<ol>

<li>Fong lightsphere if there is anything to bounce off</li>

<li>If not, maybe a Honl bounce card (easy velcro on off!) and/or snow white gel </li>

<li>or a lumiquest softboxIII if I am shooting faces from close by</li>

</ol>

<p>But apart from umbrellas, nothing (nothing) beats nice ceiling/wall... what I will not get tomorrow, I fear. I fear a large dark room with zero light and 500ft high ceilings, and loud music. Oh and everyone who is dressed at all will be dressed in black leather.</p>

<p>Sigh!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yeah.. and hey, re the three cameras and siex lenses, what would be your choice as a starting point? (I;ll want to have the best chance of not having to go back to the car to chake lenses)</p>

<p>I'm thinking... 7D for bits of video maybe. So then 1Ds or 1D as second camera? And what lenses?</p>

<p>You know the feeling Nadine - you want everything with you (there. the assistant again) just in case- but in reality you can't do it. I sometimes almost wish that the government would mandate just one 50mm lens and I'd do just fine :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nadine - hilarious! As you typed this I was at the other end of my office/studio, preparing exactly this:</p>

<ul>

<li>1Ds with 16-35</li>

<li>24-70 on the 7D</li>

<li>70-200mm packed</li>

<li>35 and 50mm for backup and flashless</li>

</ul>

<p>LOL!!</p>

<p>Many thanks for confirming my thoughts!</p>

<p>Michael</p>

<p>OK, pictures soon. In the mean time: terrible light, nothing to bounce off. My best shots initially were taken with the 70-200. Some great ones. Fill the frame. f/2.8, 1/60th, 1600 ISO.</p>

<p>But later, the "smile at the camera pics" were a challenge with very inconsistent flash results (and I know e-ttl well: I teach it).</p>

<p>Best later was when I finally broke through the ambient barrier by using the 35mm f/1.4 on the 1Ds. Fong Lightsphere. At f/1.4, 1/30th, at 1600 ISO. That finally gave me backgrounds.</p>

<p>Biggest challenge all night: I could not see my camera controls (too dark). Try to set FEC or ISO when you cannot see a darn thing!</p>

<p>You forgot to tell us what BAG your using. Do you like to go backpack or shoulder bag? Personally I find backpacks cumbersome and only like to use them when I'm hiking.<br /> <br /> If you have a good shoulder bag, with a good strap, you shouldn't have a problem packing 2 bodies, with the 24-70, 70-200, and your lighting stuff. I would probably also toss in the 35 for kicks. I use either a Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 for two bodies, or an old laptop bag for one body. I bought an OP/TECH S.O.S. strap for the Lowepro bag, and even with the bag packed to the hilt (35lb) its not bad. If you use a shoulder bag and have a chance, try out one of those straps, you'll be amazed at the difference over the one that comes with the bag.<br /> <br /> Oh, and don't forget your business cards. This will be excellent opportunity to line up some work for later.<br /></p>